Houston Is the New Capital of Southern Cool

Someone shared at re forum in google.

This caught my eye - “But a good deal of what’s happening in Houston feels more organic and idiosyncratic than what an urban-studies expert might devise in a PowerPoint presentation…”
That and the lack of zoning laws. The end game of “progressivism” is always hyper-regulated, mindless conformity. Ultimately you lose diversity of opinion, then diversity of thought, then diversity of people - with chants of “celebrate diversity” through the whole journey.

2 Likes

Beat around the bush, stop reading after a few paras.

Are you jealous because it’s not Austin?

Too damn long and doesn’t seem to have anything concrete.

Wuqijun likes to over interpret. Just hate to read articles that are too long, tend to beat around the bush.

Climate change means more frequent and powerful storms. That implies more flooding in Houston. Avoid like a plague.

2 Likes

Does Austin have this flooding issue too?

Austin is a big msa. Neighborhoods popular with techies don’t have flood issue.

1 Like

@hanera, I wanted to ask you about that. What neighborhoods are popular with techies? I kind of know that the area about 15 miles north of UT Austin is where most tech companies are.

Avery Ranch 78717😀
Other hot zip codes,
78613 cedar park

All are north of arboretum. Arboretum/ the domain is an alternative to downtown.

1 Like

Can’t see this in Texas

1 Like

Where is it from? Tahoe? That makes it bullish for re :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really. I don’t think RE is that desirable at Yosemite.

But the nature, air quality… Come on man

That is the view from my bedroom window of Tallac.
This is the famous Mountain in the opening credits of the tv show Bonanza.

1 Like

Why would you leave your home country just to live in the woods here? Don’t you have woods where you came from?

Moar money.

We were told that after Katrina. So far it’s been fake news.

Houston marks Harvey anniversary by voting to back flood-control bond

Houston, which is barely above sea level, has long been susceptible to flooding. A web of bayous and other watersheds that can overflow during heavy rainfall snake their way through Harris County. Flood maps show that more than 25 percent of Harris County is in the 100-year flood plain and more than 33 percent of the county is in the 500-year flood plain.

Structures in a 100-year flood plain have a 1 percent chance of flooding in any given year, while those in a 500-year flood plain have a 0.2 percent chance of flooding during any year. The Houston area has had three 500-year flood events since 2015. Many of the Houston area homes damaged during Harvey were not in designated flood plains.