How common are $350K salaries in the Bay Area?

Dont look too hard. This is very similar to homeless people occupying empty homes and then claiming rights on it.

Child support i get, but alimony for a working spouse is absurd tbh. It is even more absurd if spouse cheated and you still have to pay alimony.

1 Like

So during downturn, switch jobs toā€¦ Netflix?

FWIW I know two separate guys who didnā€™t update their LinkedIn profiles when they got a new role bc of a fear of increased alimony! One of them has worked at Uber for several years and doesnā€™t want his ex to knowā€¦

Adjusting alimony is even more stupid. I wonder if you can take somrthing likr this to supreme court :slight_smile:

1 Like

Standard of living the wife deserves has you guys not divorced :slight_smile:
What will happen if the husband went bankrupt and the wife is working, would the husband then receive alimony?

It should totally be that way.

1 Like

As things currently are, it is like spouses are stocks. Excrpt the higher earning one pays dividens. As the spouse gets richer, the more dividendsā€¦

Zero chance this will happen to you. Donā€™t worry.

That has big implication for Bay area RE. Because virtually all of that extra money will be absorbed by mortgage payment.

So letā€™s say they get a 10K per month raise, thatā€™s 120K annual. After tax only 50% is left. Apply all of that to mortgage payment, and use my back-of-envolope formula $500 a month for $100K mortgage, thatā€™s an extra $1M mortgage they can afford.

I may need to upgrade my ā€œ2M ruleā€ higher to ā€œ3M ruleā€: house prices will all go to $3M within one-hour drive of Palo Alto.

So eye of the hurricane is pa. Got it. You need to take into sccount rising rates, and volatile markets. Going naked on stocks instead of just base is dangerous. But it might be someones treasure when foreclosures happen.

How does the culture of Mountain View and Palo Alto differ?

Itā€™s actually quite different even though they are next to each other. Most CEOs, top executives and VCs in the valley live in Palo Alto. Thereā€™s really no ghetto neighborhoods in Palo Alto, there are areas in Mountain View. When you go out at night in Palo Alto, itā€™s quite common to run into the crowd I mentioned above. People who live in Palo Alto like myself never hang out in Mountain View because all the fine dining is in Palo Alto. And cause weā€™re a bunch of Palo Alto snobs. :wink: And people instantly think you must be rich if you live in Palo Alto, cause itā€™s quite expensive here. I think Palo Alto is the best city in the valley in terms of people, dining, education, city services, safety, and amenities, if you can afford it. :wink:

Ghettos of pa are the places with eichler homrs. Whoever said it doesnt exist is lying.

I was put off Palo Alto by the wave of high school suicides to be honest. Is that mentioned?

You are absolutely right. I think which is the reason all the south bay RE are up with FOMO and extra cash from Stock. So maybe it should be at least 2.5M. However, thatā€™s past and current. If we were to play magic 8 ball, I think future will be Peninsula. Companies like Lyft, Uber DropBox and AirBnB has much higher buying power when these companies are / will be liquidable. And those people are only interested in Redwood City to North. Buy now while we can.

4 Likes

Educarion and safety and lot sizes are better in los altos. It is very much like a country-side, though, so i give him that.

Not true. I had a fling with a judge who had to pay alimony to her ex husband.

Family court is a giant pile of crap. Thatā€™s because their funding is determined by how much money they take in child support and alimony. They almost always favor money being paid regardless of situation. SJ just built a huge family court right downtown. Business is good for them.

:+1: South Bay is lifted up by the semiconductor wave. Even old dog Intel is getting hot again. Maybe peninsula will be next.

1 Like

I have a thing for redwood city for investment. Still affordible, and hasnt gone up crazy. i would try burlingame if i could afford though.

Time to move to Netflix.

Too far :slight_smile: arent they in los gatos?