How common are $350K salaries in the Bay Area?

Split your PA money in half. One in Burlingame one in Los Gatos.

There are sub 3 pa places. 4m gets you niceish place. Not sure if you can get ok place for 2m?

Do not expect foreclosure in Mountain View, Sunnyvale,Cupertino, Los Altos…etc wherever cash rich (high down payment) RE sales area. If they have high cash down and high stocks holders, they hold even if they loose jobs.

Foreclosures are very common in low income areas (10% down payment or similar ones). They won’t be able to withstand job loss. AFAIK, I do not think you are focusing at such areas.

1 Like

Uber has very high stock percentage.

I expect foreclosures in mtv. It is not always cash rich, and plenty of older people are taking heloc out of their homes. One of them was doing off market sale couple months ago. I imagine at the very least short sales will be a big thing

I have a friend who keeps asking if he should sell his home he bought 3 months ago in svl. I keep saying hell no. He is trigger happy :slight_smile:

Why does he want to sell?

He is thinking current prices are unsustainable. He said he had the money to pay cash but he took a loan anyway. I told him if it crashes buy couple more.

1 Like

He should have bought 2 :slight_smile:

Then he can sell one now :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes I feel that way as well. Good to temper expectations.

Check out how many foreclosures in 2008-2009. It’ll be a good indicator.

1 Like

Turnover is good. From weak baby boomers to strong millennial/GenX primary home owners/ investors.

In my normal area of operation, I saw many new leased apartments spring out. Guess future generation (young millennial/ iGen) would have to stay in those apartments.

1 Like

zillow has some data:
https://www.zillow.com/mountain-view-ca/home-values/
but not sure if it’s fully accurate. any better place?

Let him sell, he will learn a life lesson !:rofl:

Short sales are history in USA now,esp bay area, as lenders make Short sales to foreclosures. Only foreclosures are possible now and multiple cash bidders will take foreclosures at court house (mostly not reachable for primary seekers unless they are wealthy cash rich).

During the worst period of real estate,2008-2011, I had seen only 3 foreclosures (around 5% or less) in Cupertino at any month where as 40% foreclosures in other parts of bay area. At that time SVL, MV prices are way lower than Cupertino. Now, big tech companies have come and SVL, MV, LA, PA became like solid rock than Cupertino. My realtor repeatedly told me to get in SVL or MV, but we did not listen (our ignorance).

Most of the primary owners stock were at low points, neither like to sell at low price. When such foreclosures came, in cash rich areas, only full cash investors took advantage than primary seekers as it is very difficult for primary owners to compete with cash buyers.

3 Likes

I wanted to buy in SVL many times, my wife says the houses look like shit which is true but I was thinking of strategic geographical location. Anyhoo… miss opportunity… you can’t win all the time :slight_smile: At least the money was ploughed to Austin, no fish prawn is good enough.

2 Likes

Your wife is so ignorant, don’t listen to her.

So far her opinion about RE direction (from Singapore till here) is wrong but I am not bold enough to disobey her wish :cry:

This empress dowager needs to be tamed… :rofl:

Where is the data available?

Seems accurate to me, given MTV as a whole has more condos & townhomes. This probably paints a more familiar picture for you.

https://www.zillow.com/mountain-view-ca-94040/home-values/

You’re going to find very few foreclosures in mtv. Realtytrac has better data, but you have to pay if you want historical. Sites like Zillow report BS pre-foreclosure which is anytime someone is late with 1 payment. You want to know how many people received an auction notice.

1 Like