How common are $350K salaries in the Bay Area?

At any age.

Whatā€™s the salary like for senior and staff engineers at Google in Seattle and Mountain View?

When you start out at Google as a L3, your total compensation totals about 170k/yr, with about 115kish base salary. It ramps up a few percentage points a year, until you get promoted to L4, at which point your salary is around 150k/yr with total comp landing in the 230k ballpark. At L5, which is the senior engineer level, you will make around 330k/yr total comp, with base salary around 190k. Then at L6, staff engineer, 220k base salary, total comp 400k+. These are just the rough ballpark numbers, and may vary a bit based on performance.

350K T-comp is pretty common it seems. Long live SV RE!!

buy coupel fedex routes, and you suddently have a million dollar additional income. long liveā€¦ reā€¦

1 Like

Show me da way tomato!

Trying to convince a friend to be a partner :slight_smile: if not, maybe I should team up with @myo!

Yea! Need to learn the rope abit though. You should partner with someone who has done before then partner with me to scale your operations!

Two willing person with different backgrounds is good mostly. I donā€™t think my friend with an existing fedex route would need a partner - he has it figured out anyway (and also a director at google). I think heā€™d provide guidance, but at the end of the day, the person taking the money home does the work.

I just need someone explain the business to me. Why itā€™s a viable business and how much time it takes to operate.

What percentage is L6 and L5? As the employee population grow older, how can google keep the percentage of L6 and L5 small? That could be the career end of the 350k+

@tomato how many L5 and above at google?

No idea, but we have metric ton of vps an d directors. So many gets promotedā€¦ L6 is the new l5 is the word on street.

Cā€™mon man. It could be a Google interview IQ question. Estimate!

1 Like

Is a problem for companies. If a company doesnā€™t know how to manage this aging issue, it would soon be dinosaur. An example is SUN. IBM and HPQ did well in that they are still around. One way is to change CEO, one who doesnā€™t have any relationships with everybody in the company and given a list of people to chop. Must do early enough or the company becomes fossilized and at the point of no returnā€¦ matured market and high cost, good bye.

Edit:
Further thought, I realize Google CEO is very highly compensated, meaning he is obliged to highly compensate his subordinates. Previously, founders try to keep cost down by having $1 (if I recall correctly), following SJā€™s style. Now both companies have CEOs that earn more than $1. TC tries to keep cost down by having his compensation quite low, lower than Pichai. I recall some bloggers mumble that Apple pays low, guess is workingā€¦ high cost structure is bad for investors.

100s? Tell them not to buy housesā€¦ is a bad investment. May be time to stop people buying rentals :frowning: I didnā€™t buy any rental in SV, is for my son, he can move in anytime if need be. Real homebuyers like me are forced to pay high price.

Rental owners like me are forced to pay high price because I had to compete with homeowners going the extra mile to get their house.

1 Like

Iā€™m more concerned about the good people who work for Google. Who cares about the shareholders who mostly live elsewhere?

As google employees age, their pay raise will slow. Thatā€™s not good for the housing market.

You have forgotten that they would have children by then.

Saw on Quora:

The most well-paying roles for entry level engineers is in machine learning. ML positions for fresh PhDs in groups such as FAIR (Facebook AI and Research) and Google Brain or DeepMind start at around 300K and can reach up to 1 million dollars post-negotiation. The qualification is that you must have a PhD related to machine learning or statistics, and the 1M offers require an excellent publication record in ML.

1 Like

Save the PHD, and masters, start early, youā€™ll be fine.

All I need is for MU to go to $100.

1 Like