How do I get started in real estate investing

What’s a good amount for umbrella insurance policy?

1 Like

According to expert is your net worth. The rationale given is that lawyer is able to figure out your net worth and would sue you for exactly your net worth. With UI, you would be able to pay the suit without touching your net worth :slight_smile: Btw, most liability suit is predatory with no substance, can settle for a few thousands. The coverage is for real situation where you’re liable.

1 Like

I like to think I am hands-on but my job prevents me for having the kind of time to make a real difference. How much is the typical down payment for an investment property?

Is the Heloc count towards your DTI even it you haven’t actively borrowed against it? I think I read this before but just confirming. Either way it sounds like getting a heloc is a negative.

Not sure if anybody mentioned - Be careful with Rent Control !!!

Minimum 25% if you are eligible/qualified. Check with a finance person how much you are eligible. If you are eligible, the mortgage rates are 1% to 1.25% higher than primary home owners rate.

For example: Current primary 30 year fixed at 4.25%, while rental home is 5.25%, cash out rental home is 5.75%.

You need to know some terms like this Combined DTI (debt to income ratio), combined LTV (Loan to value) and combined reserve. Google it to know.

2 Likes

Yes, even if you have zero balance, they count 1% towards DTI.

2 Likes

Yes everything Jil said, and pls do talk to a loan guy at a relationship based bank. They will ask about the subject property you have in mind, and they will also model the projected cash flow stemming from that property into the full picture.

I always thought the easiest path was turn your current primary into a rental and buy a new primary. That way the purchase mortgage is for a primary home. If the primary has this much equity, odds are the rent is much closer to break even cash flow than buying a new property as a rental.

3 Likes

Yes, actually I agree.

And what was the location considered when thinking about such options?

1 Like