How Is The Circus, Err, Hearing Going?

Well, about that rating…

One random citizen has some doubts:

I was aware with the retraction (I mentioned it in my post with the laundry list of achievements BK did do on the job. I get it, he has a lifetime appointment (barring impeachment) but his decisions will surely be scrutinized. At the end of the day, I really do hope he does a lot of good.

FBI didn’t find any corroborating evidence because they didn’t interview any corroborating witnesses, like the two people involved in the case? :thinking:

Come on, it would simply be a rehashing of “he said, she said” all over again.

Harland Dorrinson, a criminal lawyer in Cleveland, said that his clients have followed the Kavanaugh probe “with great interest” and see it as “tailor-made” for the crimes for which they stand accused.

“My clients are asking that the F.B.I. investigate them for no more than five days and only talk to the witnesses I designate,” Dorrinson said. “We think this could be a huge time saver for everybody.”

:smile:

OMG, this is guano that Jeff Adachi would come up with…

Let me say this, if I were in his shoes (def wouldn’t want to be) and presumably let’s say he does get confirmed, I would want to really, really do a good job to show that the pick was a good one and not a wasted one. You are taking about a career judge who has been portrayed rightfully/wrongfully as a drunk, sexual predator, and you think he wants that kind of legacy? Absolutely not.

Confirmation is now a certainty.

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter how he rules from the bench unfortunately. Perception is reality, and his image and the way the GOP confirms him will forever taint it, fairly or not. Even if you think there’s absolutely no basis to what people are upset about, you have to acknowledge that people are upset. Again, maybe for reasons you find ridiculous.

These people are a sizable chunk of the country, maybe 30 or 40% of the population, they will find everything this judge touches to be questionable. What happens if Trump gets in Watergate type of trouble and Supreme Court has to decide whether Trump needs to turn over the White House tape? And the court is divided 4-4 and BK is the fifth vote? Would the country be cool like, well, BK is an impartial and reasonable judge, we should go with the SC. Or would they think White House installed a partisan hack in the court exactly for this moment?

The Garland episode really poisoned the well, and the BK saga will rift the country apart for a generation.

Well, as the saying goes, “haters will hate.” BK can’t change the last few weeks or the past, but he can move forward and do the best he can. Let’s not crucify the man FOR THE JOB HE IS ABOUT TO EMBARK ON before he even gets fitted for the robe…

1 Like

Well, nobody hated Gorsuch I don’t think. If this is another person with less baggage we wouldn’t be here talking about it still.

All said and done now. BK will be on the court. Now the interesting part begins. First time the #metoo movement tests its power in an election. My eyes are on all the horse races.

Obviously some payback is expected by the GOP, but they got another man in the SCOTUS. They will take that everytime…

One red state dem senator Manchin said yes.

Now it’s a bipartisan confirmation.

1 Like

“I have reservations about this vote given the serious accusations against Judge Kavanaugh and the temperament he displayed in the hearing,” Manchin said in his statement. “And my heart goes out to anyone who has experienced any type of sexual assault in their life. However based on all the information I have available to me, including the recently completed FBI report, I have found Judge Kavanaugh to be a qualified jurist who will follow the Constitution and determine cases based on the legal findings before him. I do hope that Judge Kavanaugh will not allow the partisan nature this process took to follow him onto the court.”

1 Like

One GOP Senator said no, so it’s bipartisan opposition

1 Like
1 Like

You are correct.

But the end result is confirmation, not the other way around. Confirmation is a result and opposition is a process. You can enjoy your process and the result is the result.

Kavanaugh was a virgin for many years. I don’t know why people and media don’t mention it much.

Jeez. Didn’t notice my sarcasm. I was saying don’t read something as bi-partisan when it’s not (a single vote doesn’t make something bipartisan)