How to Retire at Age 44 with $11M

Brentwood is 2 hrs to San Mateo at commute time.
I used to go from Redwood City to Discovery Bay all the time. One hour twenty minutes minimum.
BTW my Discovery Bay house was my worst investment ever. Paid $750k in 2007, worth $600k today. Brentwood is cheaper… cheaper doesn’t mean better. Houses don’t appreciate only land appreciates.
The more desirable areas appreciate more.

1 Like

Commute time will get shorter and shorter as Businesses flee SF Bayarea and WF for most of firms.
It is no longer about appreciation but protecting against market crashes, higher carring cost of expensive property and saving money for effective alternative investments.
Higher taxes are coming no matter who get elected in 2020 election. You can see from stimulus check debate what is considered higher income.

Alot of top tier universites will need money so who ever can pay the fees they will get admission. No point in living near super good schools. Plus future Jobs will be contract type unless Scientist.
You already saw IBM, Oracle, Cisco, Intel,HP and whole host of firms that have shed bay area Jobs.
you can expand example to Boeing, GE, GM etc.

Cupertino is one company town with no manufacturing ability and its matter of time it is shifted to India. China and others put there labor skills in alternative projects.

Huh? Space ship can’t fly. Really doubt India would become a major force in manufacturing. The reason for setting up in India is to avoid the import tariff! Yes, unfair practice not mention by @erth :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: This import tariff leads to selling price of iPhone being much higher (can’t remember the percentage) than elsewhere. Setting up there won’t be subject to tariff when selling to the India market. The export price from Indian factory is not that cheap - remember, need to pay at many levels to get things done there.

1 Like

Trying SOXL, just got some today (2% around) at $204.26 as a test bit, looks to me very wild fluctuation.

1 Like

That’s the fun :man_dancing:

1 Like

Higher spending cut could also be coming depending upon who gets elected in Nov 2020.

Alot of top tier universites will need money so who ever can pay the fees they will get admission. No point in living near super good schools.

Schools like Stanford and Berkely do not inspire same respect they did 25 years ago. As far as I am concerned, they are welcome to fold their shop and relocate out of Bay Area.

Can you explain the line in bold above about import tariff. I did not understand.

Regarding Apple in India, Apple is already manufacturing in India mostly for the Indian market. I do not know if Apple is scaling up production in India to export to other markets.

Trump has added most of the imports from China with 25% duty that includes some parts of iphone too. This is country specific import duty.

Foxconn is the supplier of iphone components and assembly. If the made in china (china country of origin) it is mandated 25% tariff.

Now, same foxconn moved that parts and assembly (only those coming to us, not rest of the world) to Chennai-FTZ (Trade free zone) as they own a foxconn company in that location. All iphone US imports comes from India from now onwards, there is no tariff for iphone imports.

Any parts going inside the FTZ zone (in India) is not dutiable if they re-export after assembly. Chennai is port city and FTZ zone is just within 30 min distance. Easy to assemble and re-export. Cost of mfr is almost same.

Foxconn or Apple can not sell those inside India as it will result duty (big companies won’t use secret selling or smuggling).

This is the way, every business adjust the manufacturing in different location, like India, Korea…etc to avoid Trump Tariff on China.

1 Like

Explanation is in the paras following that statement. Btw, the response is to @HK2 that India would replace China as the global sweatshop.

i am very consistant that Southern countries cannot replace Northern Countries. I am alluding to dogma in Mega cap firms that Indian CEOs and skills will be able to compete against rest of the world. not looking how many firms are already basket case and nearly complete dependence on imports.

There may be some truth in that belief given that Indian companies did acquire many businesses in the west. But, I cannot see the future so I will focus on the factors that are given to support one point of view or the other.