Impact of companies permanently converting to remote work on Bay Area real estate?

Most of the arguments in the Quora CEO article are really about having an office in the Bay Area. If the whole company moves to Austin (but I heard commute is bad in Austin) or other lower-cost cities most of the benefits can be realized without having to go to such extremes of permanent WFH. Maybe because Quora is a startup and it only hires talented and disciplined employees so WFH works out well for them, but in my personal view for the general population permanent WFH will not produce good productivity.

If you believe that the office environment provides no value and we have been all wrong all these years since modern offices were invented then you must be getting ahead of yourself. My personal assessment is permanent WFH does not work for most people. Even for introvert coding nerds who sit in front of computers all day will benefit from sitting in an office environment where they get to practice their scarce social skills over face-to-face meetings and lunches/coffee breaks. Zoom meetings just don’t have the same kind of personal touch.

4 Likes