Impact of Tax Reform on Rental Income

Buy something to enjoy, forget about returns. Amercicans will be very happy in a couple of years but inflation may come back. Buy sooner than later. Buy before everyone has too much in his pocket.

When workers have a lot of cash, they could start buying bitcoins :rofl:

That is bad, thought they would buy more iPhones, Apple watches and AirPods.

Corporate tax reduction gives recurring profits, hanera’s point, to all corps year over year, puts lot of money to share holders, employees, additional tax revenue for government…etc

Not only this, foreign companies, using USA sales and taking back money are taxed too. This means, discouraging foreign companies to take back money, but encouraging them to keep the money in USA !

On any case, Trump has finally made his campaign promise successful once he signed.

1 Like

Are you eligible or affordable here, I am not ?

This scares me — inflation coming back. Call it an irrational fear of the stagflation era of the late 70s.

1 Like

Reviving this. What’s the verdict here. Does it make sense to put rentals in an SCorp?

I thought there was no need because it would apply to Schedule E income. @sfdragonboy was supposed to confirm with IRS connection.

IRS buddy is busy, so I need to follow-up on various questions… besides with the stock market talk in full swing no cares about RE apparently…

1 Like

IMO, it will not apply to Sch E income, as this is considered as passive income, not pass through income.

To qualify pass through, it is better to have entity structure like LLC or SCorp (I do not know how DBA - Doing business as works as pass through ).

It should apply to schedule E income, no need to form s Corp or LLC.

I posted an article a while ago, written by a tax expert, seems legitimate

2 Likes

Please repost it.

I still have doubt as RE rental is considered passive income while sch-k results pass through income. Any way, IRS reference (if any) is the only best source.

3 Likes

I too posted this awhile ago about this subject but it is best to get IRS OFFICIAL interpretation…

If someone posts this question as a comment to Trump’s tweet, we may get a direct response from IRS.

From what’s said in the article, seems that sole proprietor is a well known pass through entity. The authors did not even give much explanation and regarded as standard practice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2017/12/22/what-tax-reform-means-for-small-businesses-pass-through-entities/amp/

Business income that passes through to an individual from a pass-through entity and income attributable to a sole proprietorship will be taxed at individual tax rates less a deduction of up to 20% to bring the rate lower.Dec 22, 2017