Implications of Biden's Infrastructure Plan on EV and Clean Energy

Mr Market does care but not those quarterly and annual financial statements. Those are for checking whether anything fishy going on i.e. ensure you don’t buy a lemon BUT the real thing is… what a business can achieve and how big it can get… Leadership is the most important.

1 Like

I studied power drives and generation in my undergraduate. One of the topic was regenerative breaking, a technology that is used extensively in electric locomotives and some hybrid cars like Prius to convert motion of the train/vehicle into electric energy and send it back to grid or storage. That is why I can intuitively see where V2G might work ( in electric locomotives it already does - particularly the locomotives that run on AC traction like in France and India. Regenerative breaking is achieved simply by changing polarity of stators/pole magnets in electric motors.

1 Like

even that doesn’t work very well. There are pilots now going on in CAISO (CA electric market) and I am not sure how much value is there.

1 Like

Frankly, don’t know much about EV and Genomics but invest about $100k total in various counters based on what I read on web. I might strike gold :slight_smile: Slightly green for EV portfolio, pretty red for Genomics.

1 Like

Renewable energy, but software, with the buzzword “AI” thrown in.

Yes, i’ve been watching this one. the CEO is quite the bombast. What they do is called demand response (add load when cost of electricty low, reduce demand when cost of electricity high).

I personally think the market for this is limited and getting smaller. HOWEVER: CAISO is projecting a 5GW shortfall in CA next year, and to avoid rolling blackouts, they are hoping DERs (storage, solar, demand response) will help fill the gap. So there is a market for this, but hard to predict.

however, several FinTwit people seem to think this is an amazing stock. I can’t tell. again, if fundamentals mattered, I wouldn’t buy based on my understanding of this market, but then, fundamentals don’t matter in this market.

3 Likes

CISC vs RISC is a better analogy for BEV vs hydrogen than VHS vs Betamax.

Initially, CISC for Macs/PCs, RISC for servers
Then CISC for Macs/PCs and increasingly also for servers
Now many frontend devices use RISC and resurgence of RISC over CISC for servers
Future… depends on evolution of technology… shouldn’t conclude base on current knowledge

Lost interest. Too long winded.

Physics does not favor solar and wind energy. There is not enough of solar and wind energy to be used meaningfully. Rest everything is salesmanship, like selling a comb to bald person.

1 Like

For whoever think hydrogen fuel cells are DOAs.

APD
BEP
HYZN :wink:

Let me ask you, who is going to buy a hydrogen semi that costs more to purchase and definitely costs more to operate than a fully battery electric semi?

There will be a niche, specifically very long haul routes or very remote ones. But these are only a sliver of the semi market.

How will battery EV semi carry power? Will it have two trailers - one for battery and the other for payload?

1 Like

I was wondering how to answer a loaded question. To ask a loaded question?

As of today, no one can beat fossil fuels in density of stored energy. Things may change in future. But, one must also look at Physics/Chemistry of battery tech to understand what is the theoretical best case capacity/cubic -feet of batteries. Otherwise, the EV will just look like Solar/Wind, a ploy to extract subsidies from government by taxing everyone else, like carbon tax and gasoline tax.

2 Likes

:+1: Exactly. Examine the issue at fundamental level.

Using the climate change reason puzzles me a lot. The act of harnessing power affects climate change. Anyhoo, too lazy to delve too deeply.

Just for info, the greenest EV stocks I owned is NVVE :slight_smile: Anyhoo, EV portfolio is a small portfolio, just bragging for fun.

Don’t have to beat fossil fuels in energy density if that is not the limiting factor to vehicle choice.

EV trucks will have less density but definitely lower operating costs (esp fuel). So if the market can currently make 400-500 mile range trucks, then for truck routes that operate at or under this range, they will choose EVs because that will make their business more profitable.

Whereas if your route is 800 miles nonstop, probably the economics of fossil fuels are superior.

But the majority of routes are under 500 miles, so most will convert to EVs.

That says nothing of what happens to energy density over 5 years from now, which will likely unlock say 700 miles EV trucks.

So fossil fuel / hydrogen trucks will be more expensive for total cost of ownership for most of the semi market.

How?

Fuel will cost much less. Maintenance costs should be less as well but lets just assume fuel costs for now.

Battery on a vehicle only stores electrical energy. Bettary does not generate energy. Energy is generated somewhere else. I do not now how much does it cost to generate per unit of electricity, but a lot of it is from burning fossil fuels, which government is heavily taxing or making plane illegal. That is why I asked how the energy used in a EV will be cheaper (if it comes from fossil fuel anyway - not adding cost of generation and transmission tacked to it)

1 Like