In-law quarter/ADU in Dublin CA worth to build?

Nah, many people are that dumb. The 68 people who built ADU in SF are prime examples.

I suspect the people that built ADUs are actually landlords of MFH which are already subject to RC+JCE, and converted garage spots to ADUs.

There is a building near mine which converted four garage spots to ADUs.

Sorry to get political. But liberal politicians have caused the housing crisis. And now will make it worse with statewide rent control. They are so desperate and stupid to punish landlords that they will hurt tenants and the homeless even more. Problem is they never did well in math. And don’t understand the concept of supply and demand. Can’t force people to build, and have removed any incentives to do so.

3 Likes

Sorry for late reply. But thank you all the details. I have been going through same points again and again for quite some time and that makes me think not proceed with ADU but rather invest outside.

Appreciate all the details. Going through all the points it doesn’t make sense to go with ADU but better to invest that money outside and generate income out of it rather than taking hassle all the risks.

Agree to your points, not worth it.

ADUs are not good for most homeowners, especially in a progressive state that might rent control them. The biggest problem is parking. There is no place to put all the extra cars. Neighborhood opposition will be fierce.
Banks won’t finance them. Access to backyards is limited, meaning all the building materials have to be carried in by hand. Overhead utilities wires means cranes won’t work to bring in prefab units.

If the state was serious about creating new housing, zoning needs to be changed to allow multi family mid rise to 7 stories on transportation corridors like El Camino

I bet everyone is glad they didn’t build an ADU

1 Like

I read that you aren’t interested any more, but what if you could get an ADU built for a more reasonable price? I am a contractor and Civil Engineer who lives in Dublin. I just quoted a 1 bed/1 bath, small kitchen, 500 sq. ft. ADU in Dublin at $270 a square foot. If you are interested, I’d be happy to meet with you and talk about options and prices.