In San Francisco, good schools don't translate to higher home values

Any other place in the Bay Area would be true, except in San Francisco. Here, having good schools doesn’t mean a thing. Look at this map:

http://school-ratings.com/cities/San_Francisco.html

Some of the best public schools are clustered in Outer Sunset. Obviously, Outer Sunset is not the most desirable part of town to live in.

Map for South Bay. Here, good schools do translate into expensive neighborhoods…

http://school-ratings.com/cities/San_Francisco_South_Bay_Area.html

Even in South Bay commute distance can trump schools. Chevy Chase has worse schools than Cupertino but it seems to be narrowing the gap at supersonic speed.

With SF public school - the assignment is not automatic to your closest or neighborhood school. It is this “uncertainty” that I think makes it hard to plan.

1 Like

Come on, @wuqijun, you do realize the following:

1. SF has the fewest percentage of kids of any major city. 13%?

http://www.sfgate.com/mommyfiles/article/Many-families-leave-San-Francisco-but-what-about-10887001.php

1. There are plenty of rich folks here with kids and they go with private schools. There are plenty of private schools in the city and I do not believe they are hurting. Again, partly to the misconception that a) the public schools are bad and (b) perhaps families didn’t their top choice of public school so they opt for private. Hey, if you have the means and want to spend upwards of 50k/yr on Jr that is fine with me. I went to public schools and ended up at Lowell and turned out reasonably ok without costing my blue collar folks their life savings.

2. Even the smallest Sunset basic home, a 2/1 will cost a 1M these days. That is not high value? Sure, the west side can be colder than other parts of the Fab 7x7 but believe me, if that open house I went to last Sunday was an indication there are plenty of young families (Asian and Caucasian) wanting in on the Sunset. They are finding yes the PUBLIC schools are fine and yes there is street parking and yes you might even get a yard to call your very own.

Hahaha well said.

Perfect timing, @wuqijun! So, what to do? Move or private school here we come…

These families are not being realistic in selecting their schools, so of course they don’t get their first choice. They should choose the school where their home is closest to. So if you live in Portola, don’t try to sneak your way into a Sunset school.

I found this interesting article (in the Washington Post!) about some stats for the SF schools.

1 Like

By the way, I used to live in Portola but attended Presidio, so my family was being super sneaky back then even before they implemented this joke of an open enrollment lottery system :slight_smile:

“The story of our efforts at student assignment is the story of unintended consequences,”

Wow, you don’t say? This is exactly why trusting the government to fix anything is foolish.

Just don’t run for office, @wuqijun… this “skeleton” might find its way out of the closet…

Haha… that was entirely my parents decision. I had no idea what was going on. I had to bus my way to Richmond everyday and the ride took almost an hour one way. That was back in the 80s…

Aaah, practicing before the hearing…good idea

Me too, but a decade earlier (more or less). Took Muni on my own from Chinatown to the Mission for middle school. Yet, my lil sister got to go to Marina (way better school) when it was her turn. We all ended up at Lowell but I still feel I got hosed out of all of the kids for having to go across the city on my own when there were perfectly fine institutions of learning closer (Francisco or maybe Marina)…

Hearing? Haha, whatever…

Aaaah yes, the challenges of having twins increase in the Fab 7x7…

http://www.sfexaminer.com/latest-mix-sf-public-school-lottery-accidentally-links-twins/

That’s BS. In any other school district people from the same family go to the same school. So why should they expect twins to go to different ones.

Or make more dough and put kids into privates. Can’t please everyone.