Is a Recession Coming?

When Obama won, people said republicans are losing it. Now with trump, people said dems are losing it. In fact, both are “losing it” because America is in decline with respect to China and not any person nor party can turn back the tide. :slight_smile:

China has huge problems of it’s own. It’s walking a tightrope trying to maintain 7-10% growth without too much leverage and debt.

1 Like

Three outcomes:
Longer but Shallow
Short but deep
Short and Shallow

It would be one of the first two. #1 is more likely.

Nation is too big. Beijing is far away, provinces and cities pay lip service to central committee, too many shadow banking, … Xi is trying hard to reduce/ stop those practices. There is good progress in controlling air pollution and corruption. As far as I know, their one nation many governance system experiment is still on, didn’t decide which way is better or may stay in this hybrid governance forever.

They also have a huge problem with pollution of agricultural lands. There are technical solutions such as planting trees which sequester heavy metals; the lumber can then be used for homes or other durable purposes where the areas over which the contamination is ultimately released are large and the timeframe of the release long. Vertical farming also offers promise; the principle is to deal with a lack of land for food production the same way we deal with a lack of land for people - go up. But all these solutions take time. I have yet to see any firm evidence that China is cleaning up messes faster than it is creating them.

1 Like

China’s solution to looming agriculture problem is land grab using BRI. in BRI agriculture comes next after infrastructure.

There is no agriculture problem anywhere in the world. American farmers produced so much nobody wants to buy. China still has a lot of small scale farmers because land is not free to trade so farmers can’t buy up land to make American style huge farms.

Very true. The biggest problem is that the city folk (or blue states) don’t respect the rural areas (or red states) and the differences in opinions and beliefs. The “intelligensia” feels that it has to teach the “brainwashed masses” and make things right for them. This insulting attitude does not bridge gaps nor breed trust.

3 Likes

Actually, I think they did a big thing by refusing to take our waste this year. I’m surprised they didn’t do it sooner.

1 Like

In the hunger games movies, the rural won :slight_smile: City folks are viewed as evil :slight_smile:

2 Likes

China taking western waste is a thankless job. They took the waste and earned a bad reputation, for some cheap money. If I were China, I’d throw those garage right back at their face. Show some dignity… :laughing:

1 Like

What kind of waste did they take? Did they only take recyclables? It wound be a shame to export and import other garbage.

Can we buy a large price of desert in NM, build a wide highway and make it a huge dumping site?

Recyclables and ewaste. But ultimately, if you take these, you have to get rid of the byproducts. Just not worth it, especially with the low quality control. In the end, I think this will be a good thing for the US. We should be building our own recycling plants.

How about Mexico? It might be easier to build a recycling plant in Tijuana

1 Like

what’s the different between exporting first world waste to China and Mexico? Change your mentality please.

1 Like

Are those toxic stuffs what f… up China’s agricultural land? And responsible for a large part of the air pollution?

1 Like

Air pollution comes from burning coal for heat and electricity, and heavy industry. China licked the problem, mostly.

The e-waste messed up China’s rivers and so polluted its farmland.

2 Likes

No appreciation for taking up this shit job?

America had just one arrow and there was Snow and Coin. So, like Katniss, we shot Coin. I still think it was the right move.

Do you have a link for that? My understanding is that China still has some of the most polluted air in the world.