Let The Games Begin! (Democratic Candidates Vying For 2020 Run)

Taxes have nothing to do with the quality of Chinese food and weather.

I actually feel sorry for you if you think you get good value for all the taxes you pay. That’s straight up Stockholm syndrome.

2 Likes

It does wonder to my mental health. I don’t get angry with people on welfare.

So you’re happy that the system creates generational poverty and keeps people dependent on the government?

1 Like

Our reason is the same? My wife loves US and loves the sunshine state best, since happy wife happy life, I follow her blindly to here. Now that the ultra left have taken over, she thinks Austin is better. What is your reason?

2 Likes

No algebra for him!!! And big tax for him :rofl:

However, he escaped the big tax by leaving the w2 world :persevere:

But still no algebra for him

1 Like

What about algebra?

My reason for staying in America is very simple. It’s easier to make money here. Yes, even after the supposedly high taxes it’s still more profitable to stay in America. Plus the living standard is higher. Again, even after accounting for taxes.

People who complain about taxes only look at the liabilities side of the balance sheet but ignore the assets side. They only look at themselves but ignore the rest of the system.

True only if you’re a W2 or running a startup. But you’re retired! You should either go back or move to a low cost of living neighborhood :slight_smile:

Btw, many Singaporeans trade US stocks and derivatives (risky products).

True retirement is to be rich enough to live wherever heck you want. :smile:

They really need to bring algebra back. Maybe then people will know the difference between marginal and effective tax rates. Only the top 1% of Americans pay a higher effective income tax rate than those places.

2 Likes

US is business economy and it is the strong backbone of this country.

HFT is helping liquidity, but not other way.

Yes, they make money. We have been using abacus long time before, later changed to calculator, computer, laptop, tablet…etc to smart phone level.

HFT is one of the avenues of trading. Unless someone envy of the firms making money, I do not really see any negatives with HFT.

1 Like

You fixation on income tax again. No taxes other than income tax? Ever heard of payroll tax for example?

In fact I just happened to see this tweet on my TL today. Didn’t check the number myself.

Citizens are leaving California for some years. Michigan and Illinois had this exodus earlier. Northeast’s problem is worse. California is pretty new, pretty young, it was orchard a few decades ago in Silicon Valley. We are living in borrowed time from the early years

Right, and those countries have no other taxes.

Are you really saying US has a lower effective tax rate than Hong Kong and Singapore? That would be quite a shocker to a lot of people.

Californians pay a lot more taxes than other states…My CA state income tax is about half my Federal income tax…50% more effective tax than other states…How many foreign countries have state and federal taxes?

3 Likes

My 5 largest annual expenditures in California were:

Fedearal income tax
Mortgage
State income tax
Payroll taxes
Property taxes

When 4/5 of my largest annual expenditures are taxes, I’m going to tell people that want to raise taxes to fly a kite. That’s not even counting sales tax, gas tax, etc.

State income tax is literally a 10% fee on all of your investment income. Remove the fee, and calculate how much faster your earnings compound. You’d never agree to pay a brokerage a 10% fee.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wonder how much taxes the average billionaire pays in their lifetime. Calling them free loaders defies basic math. She wants to tax wealth. The tax wouldn’t come close to covering the deficit, so you know they’ll have to keep lowering the wealth threshold.

““The thing about taxes is everybody who is an ultra-millionaire has to pay a portion, not just those who sign up, not just those who wave their hands and say, ‘I’ll do it as long as it goes to the particular charity I like,’” Warren continued. “That is your obligation. That’s part of the social contract. That’s part of being a citizen of the United States of America.””

Where in the constitution is that?

“That additional money could go to child care, lowering student loan debt, or a Green New Deal, she added.”

Oh, she plans to use it to add more spending. No plans to reduce the deficit.

Bernie wants a 77% estate tax.

So troublesome, just confiscate any amount over $1B. Enough to reduce deficit?

Warren’s tax would create $275B/yr in revenue if people don’t figure out a loophole. She wants to pair it with new spending, so it wouldn’t decrease the deficit.

Personally, I’d just start a charity and donate wealth over the threshold to the charity. You can donate stock to a charity, so you’d maintain voting control as long as you control the charity.

3 Likes