Let The Games Begin! (Democratic Candidates Vying For 2020 Run)

This version does:

1 Like

Wow. That thing makes her seem like even more of a nut job. It’s supposedly about climate change, but there’s a ton of talk about income inequality. I guess the prediction that the left will use climate change to kill capitalism wasn’t just fanatical sensationalism. They are legit trying. They certainly are lining up their coalition of victims to support it.

1 Like

Harris is a moron. She says the border isn’t an emergency but opioids are. How does she think opioids get into this country? Warren said the same thing about opioids. Maybe they should do a little root cause analysis on the source of the drugs.

Saying gun violence is an emergency is only going to raise fears that democrats want to confiscate guns from law-abiding citizens. Apparently “Drugs, Inc” should be mandatory watching for politicians.

So how much of the opioid come from the untended portion of the Mexican border?

2 Likes

Exactly…it’s a rounding error. Most of the deaths are from fentanyl coming in by mail from China.

2 Likes

Heroin is 15k. They don’t break out fetanyl separate. Synthetics are 28k.

Fentanyl might be made in China but 80% comes into the US via the Mexico border.

FYI, it was Trump who declared Opioids are public health emergency unlocking extra funding. He also got China to agree on classifying Fentanyl a controlled substance which allows the death penalty for distributors.

Drugs are coming overwhelmingly thru legal ports of entry. That’s why I specifically wrote “unfenced portion” of the border.

Like this biggest bust ever:

Mexican traffickers have been increasingly smuggling the drug into the U.S., mostly hidden in passenger vehicles and tractor-trailers trying to head through ports of entry.

Besides Trump did nothing in 2017 and 18 when republicans controlled both chambers of Congress and White House. It’s by definition not an emergency if you can sit on your hands for two years.

If you are Ok with abuse of emergency like that I don’t see why a future Democratic President can’t use the same trick to bypass congress.

1 Like

The 80% is probably referring to the portion of fentanyl pipeline from Mexico that is shipped to the US market.

By weight, the average port inspector seized 8 times more cocaine, 17 times more fentanyl, 23 times more methamphetamine, and 36 times more heroin than the average Border Patrol agent seized at the physical border in early 2018

The opiod epidemic is a crisis and there are initiatives to reduce the flow that is shipped via mail by homeland security. Those measures would be separate from a physical wall.

The facts show decreasing illegal immigration from Mexico and decreasing crime in border cities, belying claims of any emergency. Like manch said, it has not been addressed in the past 2 years. Rump does not have a case nor the support of the majority of Americans. It will likely be blocked.

Right, that’s why in 2013 Schumer cosponsored a bill with wall funding. It’s why Obama talked about securing the border. Now that trump wants to do it, democrats suddenly pretend like they’ve always been agaisnt it.

There’s a second amendment that guarantees our right to own guns. There’s no constitutional amendment protecting the right of foreigners to illegally cross the border.

Trump has done more on opioids than Obama did in all 8 years. Unless you count the fast and furious program giving guns to the cartel as a good thing.

Oh, and everyone ignores that 25% of kids detained for illegally entering the US were traveling with a known criminal who wasn’t a family member. I guess no one cares about human trafficking.

Whataboutism run amok. Didn’t address at all why building a wall is a national emergency.

Marcus, wouldnt it be great to build a huge wall to block out this bundle of concerns. I am not going to factcheck everything as others on the forum already have. The point is a wall will not achieve the purpose you want it to, and there is no way it is worth the loss of money and well-being the last shutdown caused. Move on to other ways to solve problems…

1 Like

Calling fake emergency to get around Congress is deeply unpopular at the polls. That’s the whole reason why Trump has been hesitating.

National emergency should be obvious to most people. 911 was an emergency. Katrina was an emergency. Building a wall is not an emergency. If it were I would also call gun violence an emergency, climate change an emergency, on and on.

Everything the president wants but can’t pass Congress would be an emergency and we will become a banana republic.

So you don’t care at all about child trafficking? You don’t care that for decades democrats were for securing the border and cared about our safety. Now they suddenly do a 180 to oppose Trump, and you believe them.

“So you don’t care X” is not sound ground for rational discussion. We can also run thru the 40K people killed by guns every year one by one and say something like “So you don’t care about this 5 year old girl killed by a stray bullet?”

I don’t oppose building better border security. Some types of walls and fences are obviously necessary, but it won’t be a wall from sea to sea and certainly it’s not a national emergency.

1 Like

I can see what you’re getting at- brand does matter.

Now you’re just spouting emotional BS. Your gun stat is BS. Gun homicides are 13k and a majority are gang and drug related. In other words, fix the drug problem and homcides drop by 50%.

No one proposed a wall on the entire border. Many parts already have a wall, so clearly we used to think walls were effective. Other parents have natural barriers that make crossing nearly impossible. If I remember right, the discussion is to build a wall on roughly 1/4 of the border. The fact you said this means you either don’t read or down retain anything that doesn’t align to your emotions. So there’s no point.

You can be the biggest supporter of building walls and still conclude, correctly, that declaring fake emergency explicitly to circumvent Congress is abuse of presidential power and unconstitutional.

All it takes is to imagine Obama doing it and how hopping mad you would be.

It’s not that hard.

Bernie Sanders will win the primary. The pet show will be useless.

Biden will lose to Sanders, I think

So you give Democrats a free pass on their refusal to secure the border? It’s their job to do what’s best for the American people not just oppose anything Trump wants. It’s hard to argue a more secure border is bad for American citizens, so they are prioritizing disagreeing with Trump over protecting citizens.