Low Enrollment Public Schools in South Bay

Well, those enhancement classes district mentioned were really French and Drama.
Popular classes like Java, you still have a very hard time to get in.

They are teaching kids to program in java? OMG…

1 Like

Joking? Is very easy for kids.

What are you talking about?
Now, Lynbrook provides 3 classes, Java Programming, Computer_scince_principle(AP) and Computer_science(AP).
You should take all 3 classes if you want to apply for CS or other engneering school.
Well, taking classes school provides is the easiest part.
On top of that, you should do a lot of other things to prove that you are decently good. :slight_smile:

I thought most schools now teach beginning programming classes in Python? It’s much easier to grasp than Java. Just to print “Hello World” in Java is a ton of mumbo jumbo… If the kids don’t mind that’s fine. :slight_smile:

I think soon the teaching language will be Swift. Write an iPhone app as your class project? Now that’s cool…

1 Like

Somebody made it into politics. Not me.
I was pointing out to the goal of this administration through DeVos. About charter schools, and they are gaining popularity because they are not picking their students based on zip code nor proximity and the perception they are making good of their approach to educate the kids.

Now, if public schools close, massive layoffs come. They may move to charters but who knows.

PGE has to increase rate since people are using less electricity.

Almost all the water district had to increase water rate during the drought when people are saving water as good citizens.

Because they all hire the same numbe of people even if the demand is down.

PGE is a private company and now they have to lay off people and even outsource.

If less kids go to college, maybe college tuition will increase even more? :blush:

2 Likes

I see your point now.
Yes, most of high schools and colleges are still teaching Java.
I guess it’s because curriculum change is expensive.
However, teaching Java or C++ is not necessarily bad thing in my opinion.
I think switching from Java/C++ to script language is easier than the other way around.
On top of that, most of high school extra curricula related activities still use Java or C++.
For example, for USACO, you can use either C++ or Java (in ICO, you can only use C++, though).
My daughter uses SCALA and JAVA in Robotics club.

1 Like

Monta Vista only has Intro to Java and AP CS. Did a web search, AP CS Principle is new in 2017. Is so new, doubt it would earn any credits in Colleges

Scala yes, Java hell no! :slight_smile:

Charter school is a public school. Maybe they should include charter school and even private school in statistics.

Regarding Cupertino schools, are many students going to private school instead?

Right. This is brand-new AP. Lynbrook starts the class from 2017-2018 as well.
Well, earning credits in Colleges is the second goal of AP classes.
You should show your enthusiasm, passion and dedication by taking all available AP classes (which is related to the major you want to study) at your school. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OMG, not in our fav paradise city!!!

Thanks to Prop 13, dinosaur HP, anti-growth and whoever chase Facebook to Menlo Park.

1 Like

I know this is true for Cupertino but they are balancing within the district by shifting students from overcrowded zones via lottery. Overall enrollment in primary has also gone down in last few years BUT I believe this is a temp trend that will reverse when some new high density residential units have child-bearing residents!

I’m going to venture a third reason: With the economy improving people put their kids into private schools. Apparently in RWC only 30% of the kids attend public schools. We’re certainly part of that statistic–we moved into RWC with the idea of having the kids in a private school, and taking the cheapest housing near it. Now, though, we did move DS2 to a public, and if we stick around past next year, I’d like to move DS3 to the same public school for my sanity (three separate schools is a bit of a nightmare logistically), but we’re still going to end up with private high school for DS1 no matter what.

That said, yes, overall, as prices increase, #1 is the most likely. Two income families bidding up houses mean fewer kids period. Much easier to add a third or fourth kid when you have a stay at home mom who wasn’t planning on working to pay for the basics.

High-income people are having less kids than low-income people, so this result isn’t surprising.

Also, it points to one of my fav topics. They quote “revenue shortfall” as the reason. However, revenue increased by over 5% y/y. The issue is spending was going to increase by more. The government never met a financial problem that wasn’t labeled a revenue problem.

“The cuts stemmed from a $3.8 million budget shortfall attributed to a miscalculation of property tax revenue growth. The district last July projected the revenue would increase 8.67 percent but it rose only 5.34 percent.”

I’m shocked property tax revenue is growing by over 5% with prop 13.

3 Likes

Could that be partially explained by property sales/resetting much higher???

Yes, but property turnover is low. That’s why I’m shocked they assumed 8% growth. The math is if there’s 2% property turnover, then the average tax increase is 150% on property sales. That gets to a 5% total increase with 98% of properties having a 2% increase.

The headlines are always how prop 13 is robbing the government of property tax income, but property tax income is still increasing 5%/yr which is more than 2x inflation. They are delusional if they think this is a tax revenue problem and not a spending problem. It’s amazing how the story is spun.

2 Likes

Even a 5.34% revenue growth is not meeting the needs of the greedy school board. They should have limited budget growth to inflation.

Is it reasonable for the school district to grow budget by 8.68% a year?

If there is no prop 13, they would grow the school budget by 20% a year and property tax would also grow at 20% a year. Prop 13 is the best thing ever happened.

It would be sad to see senior citizens paying $10k to $40k property tax bills. I would rather them to pay $800 instead of $40k

“The cuts stemmed from a $3.8 million budget shortfall attributed to a miscalculation of property tax revenue growth. The district last July projected the revenue would increase 8.67 percent but it rose only 5.34 percent. This time, staff is projecting a 3.73 percent growth in property tax revenue for the 2017-18 fiscal year, which begins July 1.”

2 Likes