Meanwhile in Sac

Wow, so join a gang and the government will give you a monthly stipend if you don’t kill anyone. Is this going to be the new model for dealing with gangs? Everyone is going to join a gang if you get $1k/mo for not killing people. Maybe this is how UBI becomes a thing.

The liberal media is providing ZERO national coverage of this. The only national coverage is fox news and right-wing websites. I honestly figured it was fake when I saw it, but it’s real. Why wouldn’t the liberal media cover this and want people to know about it if it’s such a good idea?

1 Like

Wow…you need to fly down for our soiree (if we actually have one…)

1 Like

When I first saw it, I seriously thought it had to be fake news. I didn’t think there was anyway it could be real. It seems maybe my plan of replacing welfare with paying people to not have kids out of wedlock might not be that far off.

So, what stops this from being an incentive to violence for some people so that they can collect $1K/month?

1 Like

Sorry, but it’s not, as you put it,

[quote=“marcus335, post:1, topic:3022, full:true”]
Wow, so join a gang and the government will give you a monthly stipend if you don’t kill anyone [/quote]:roll_eyes:

The program is more of an intervention specifically _targeting the 50 individuals responsible for the majority of Sacramento shootings._

It is a privately-funded program, based on one that that was implemented in the (bay area’s) city of Richmond which showed a 50 percent reduction in firearm assaults and 54 percent reduction in related homicides (stats since inception in 2010 through 2016). They were given $300- $1000/mo and entered a mentorship program with daily check-ins.

I don’t know who the donors are but it looks to be a good “ROI” compared to the expenses associated with putting offenders behind bars. Other cities have taken cues from the Richmond program but it is difficult to pinpoint whether the reduction in gun violence/deaths was related to gentrification, overall decline in murder rates nationally, or if it was site/person specific. It is way to soon to jump to conclusions that this type of program is a good idea that should be applied to “gangs everywhere.”

Why wouldn’t the liberal media cover this and want people to know about it if it’s such a good idea?

3 Likes

How can they say those 50 are responsible for a majority of shootings? If they have proof, then they should charge them. Every program starts small them scope creep sets in and next thing you know tons of people are on the program.

If we give the gang members $10M each and buy them a condo in Honululu, Sacramento would see almost no violent crimes

They used to send criminals to Australia. Unfortunately it’s very hard to do it now :joy:

Jail is very expensive. It might be easier to make a buyout agreement with criminals and make them leave our city with a load of money, ask them to move to SF from Sacramento or vice versa

Criminals commit crime due to some unsatisfied desires, right? Maybe send them to an island and provide them with marijuana and food. Taxpayers would provide for the living expenses, allow them to plant and harvest marijuana abundantly. Use marijuana to reduce killing. Criminals should provide for their own police and social order, but taxpayers pay for their food, shelter and joy

1 Like