Middle class can't afford to live in cities anymore

If no anti growth regulations, there’ll be no housing shortage. Houston has tons of “talent” and non-talent, a lot of houses.

The number of “talent” is actually fairly small. If you remove regulations, you can easily build more houses than new talents

1 Like

Interestingly, Houston was in the top 10 on this list:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/08/07/us-cities-where-incomes-shrinking-fastest/37263283/

Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas

• Per capita income growth in 2016: -5.1%
  • 5 yr. per capita income growth: 1.8%
  • Per capita income: $46,378
  • May 2018 unemployment: 4.4%
1 Like

Houston was impacted by oil slump. Try dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Phoenix and many Florida cities. Houston has very good income growth a few years ago. Silicon Valley had dot com bust as well

Not really sure what your point is @BAGB. Austin and Miami/WPB were on the list of places becoming unaffordable (and also high population growth map), and Salt Lake City is “expensive” when you compare median household income with median home price. Don’t know about Dallas and Phoenix.

19. Austin-Round Rock, Texas

• Cost-burdened middle-class households: 30.7 percent
• Median single-family home value: $287,325
• Median household income: $71,000
• Homeownership rate: 57.6 percent

13. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, Florida

• Cost-burdened middle-class households: 38.6 percent
• Median single-family home value: $263,245
• Median household income: $51,362
• Homeownership rate: 58.3 percent

24. Provo-Orem, Utah

• Per capita income growth in 2016: 3.0%
  • 5 yr. per capita income growth: 24.8%
  • Per capita income: $33,905
  • May 2018 unemployment: 2.6%
1 Like

The topic is about whether middle class can stay in a metro area or city. I don’t know the point of the data or research you throw out there. No idea what you mean by “expensive” or “unaffordable”, those words seems vague and you can interpret in many ways.

I have not heard that middle class in Miami, Austin or Salt Lake City have to move out of their metropolitan.

Anyway, I have said enough about this. I don’t believe I need to respond further

Just read the updated article then.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/real-estate/2018/08/15/cities-where-middle-class-can-no-longer-afford-home-prices/37105219/

1 Like