More Grim News Re SF Public Schools

This has obviously been discussed many times, but how does SF fix declining enrollments in its public schools (or is it just here in the Bayview?).

I was bused and went to an elementary school across town and then took public transportation on my own to junior high school in the Mission before finally making it to Lowell. Our family wasn’t rich enough for private schools, nor frankly as knowledgeable as parents are now about which public schools are good, etc, to make sound, educated decisions. We were just fortunate that all of the kids made it through Lowell.

Why isn’t my theory about parents willing to take chances with Fremont schools and working to build them up perhaps not working in SF? Are SF parents more lazy and not willing to take the time to get involved? Why is it different?

Personally, if I had a family and I bought a house in a certain neighborhood for the schools I should have every right to enroll my kid(s) in those schools. Period. No lottery, no ranked system at least for me in that scenario. Cries of making it a level playing field for everyone is difficult to take/understand if one is shelling out 1M for a tiny house somewhere here in the fab 7x7 to only know that sorry you didn’t get your first choice of school.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/bayview-school-enrollment-dips-20-year-low/

It’s just the Bayview. SF is one single big school district, and students can choose any school in the entire district, no matter where they live. There are something like 7 priority levels to break ties, to decide which student goes to which school. And living in Bayview is one of the priorities.

Is it fair? 5 years ago I would say no. But now I have come to appreciate it. It’s sort of like a miniature version of affirmative action. You may say anything and everything should be decided solely on how much money a family has. But there needs to be alternative paths for kids with lesser means to make it.

It’s the same micro versus macro level of justice. On a personal level someone who just put down 1.5M on a fancy pants house (which is not that fancy in SF anyway…) will feel a terrible injustice done to them if their kids can’t go to a neighborhood high performance school. But for the society as a whole, on the macro level, I am not sure it’s all that bad. Especially money already pays such a heavy role in our society as is. Kids from well to do parents already have overwhelming advantage over kids of lesser means.

1 Like

Who wants to raise kids in SF? People move to the suburbs to do that.

1 Like

I do, actually. I moved from Evergreen San Jose to SF for the schools. :smile:

Most people leave SF rather than go there because of the school situation. The only people I know who moved to SF were putting their kid in a private school and wanted a short commute.

PS: I didn’t read the article, but the best way to increase enrollment is probably to start an immersion language program at the school.

2 Likes

Doesn’t Evergreen have much better schools?

I want Chinese immersion schools, and the entire San Jose doesn’t have any.

1 Like

Cupertino has.

Only one for the entire Cupertino. And I can’t afford Cupertino anyway.

Well, the schools with Chinese immersion program(meyerholz and miller) are located in San Jose although it belongs CUSD. :slight_smile:
BTW, is CUSD area more expensive than SF?
You can live anywhere in CUSD to apply to CLIP.

1 Like

Cupertino is expensive everywhere. SF has some cheap parts and some expensive parts. :slight_smile:

John Gill in Redwood City has Mandarin immersion

http://www.rcsd.k12.ca.us/johngill

Its program is brand new. We thought about moving to RWC but finally decided we don’t want our kid to be the guinea pig.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/01/05/california-schools-earn-c-in-national-ranking/

Where are our taxes going?

1 Like

Does this have anything to do with the demographic changes? California is mostly minority, Latino is 50%, more at school population.

Buy a house in Bayview, you’ll be happy.

Because of preferential choice for Bayview students, many more parents will choose to move to Bayview.

Bayview schools will be closed one by one. But after its full gentrification, new schools will be opened one by one.

Declining Bayview school enrollment is the best proof for the rapid gentrification in the last 10 years.

Someone mentions that white people are moving to Bayview, is it true? Asians and Latinos have been moving there for a long time.

If by Bayview you also include Hunters Point, then yes, white people are moving in.

Unfortunately it is just more and more of the same news. It is like trying to push that rock up a mountain. Too many families are continuing to move out of the Fab 7x7 and while we have a few like our Fearless Leader actually by god moving here it is just not enough. Our pathetic Bored Of Stupidvisors want to focus on causes like providing tents to the homeless when it really could try to fix the school situation. Maybe, it knows it is a lost cause. Maybe, we are doomed to become Carmel By The Bay. A playland for the rich, lucky and childless…

1 Like

I actually don’t think schools are all that terrible in SF. It gets a bad rep because it’s not uniformly awesome like Cupertino. It has very good schools and some very bad ones. I like the fact its public school system provides lots of variety. I came here for the Chinese immersion programs. Even for Chinese SF offers both Mandarin and Cantonese options. It also has Spanish and Korean language immersion. Korean! That’s diversity in action.

If you go to the private school side the options are even wider. Do you know there is a school that teaches high power math? I mean real college level math like combinatorics and topology. If you don’t know what that means, that’s my point. :slight_smile: These are really high brow college math-major type of math, not your vanilla AP calculus. There is also one “ed startup” that takes VC funding. A school that teaches in French. Of course there are your usual Mandarin immersion schools.

By Hunter’s Point, do you really mean the Shipyard? I can guess that Shipyard will have many whites and Asians, but most of them might be young or childless.

What’s the demographics of new buyers in the existing neighborhood in Bayview? I guess many Asian and Latino families, also heard that many white men are moving in and they use Bayview to replace Castro.

Bayview is definitely gentrifying quickly, but it still feels less safe than any other SF neighborhood.