More RWC observations

I know but San Carlos isn’t that much further.

Rich techies send their kids to private schools, short commuting is more critical to them.

2 Likes

RWC is still cheaper is much bigger has better weather and bigger lots. Still a lot of potential.

1 Like

Can you give examples of the properties you’re comparing?

RWC schools are a weird thing–you can apply to transfer anywhere in the district, so you can’t base a house solely on districted school price.

Wouldn’t that mean everyone would want to transfer to the good schools in the district and the poor schools have less enrollment?

Yes and no. Definitely some programs are oversubscribed (Roy Cloud, Orion, North Star, pobably Adelante Spanish Immersion). Some schools have in-demand special programs (Mandarin Immersion at John Gill) even if the schools themselves are not ranked well. There’s also a large low-income contingent that needs their kids to walk to school and will simply take the closest available one.

1 Like

Well just looking at recently sold over 90-180 days, similar square feet (1400-1600) 3 beds, etc… and prices in san carlos tend between 1.5-1.9 million, western part of RWC seems to be similar 1.5-1.8. Even in Woodside Plaza which is nice area but schools aren’t great.

Complaints about what exactly?

Some parts of RWC are in the county not the city. Fair Oaks. Emerald Hills, oak Manor, Paloma Park and South of Woodside road are all county areas. Can affect values despite the schools

+1…better housing stock (in the nice areas), bigger lots.

Interesting. Woodside Plaza is zoned for Henry Ford. Most people love the school. Roy Cloud is better, but Henry Ford is probably 2nd best of zoned schools. Also very walkable (Lucky’s nearby), sidewalks, and 1960s houses makes it feel like a neighborhood. Good access to both 280 and 101 via 84. Zoned for Woodside High school and is walkable/bikable from all parts of Woodside Plaza. Reasonable sized lots 6000-8000 sq ft. This was my husband’s #1 choice for neighborhood, but too pricey for us.

Part of San Carlos is zoned for Sequoia High. If you’re looking for the IB program, that’s great, but otherwise Woodside High is better.

Flip at ask???

Before:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/438-King-St-94062/home/1424468/mlsListings-ML81704099

Now:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/438-King-St-94062/home/1424468

Offered by DeLeon. Did anyone get their recent flyer on how they sell a house? Really liked what they had to say. I could see selling with them and buying with Redfin.

1-About unpermitted addition and renovation
2-About house as SFH - not rental for many different (unrelated) ppl at the same time… potential parking on street.

Interestingly-City did not care about rent as HubHouse… City more concerned with permits.

1 Like

OMG … 1st of all - it’s racisty area. I know one black persons who came from Atlanta area to work at Stanford and become a renter of a garage in Woodside plaza area… Smart, educated, nice and funny person. Unfortunately sooooo many rasial neighbors out there… unbelievable… eventually relocated towards Oakland. Still driving to Stanford daily.

2nd… guess whats in this house…

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/2028-Maryland-St-94061/home/109491590

You never ever ever will guess…
This is a HOSPICE…
Oh, yeah… thats right… Ppl dying there. No kidding…

So… Woodside plaza… think twice…

2 Likes

We bought house in RWC with dual agency…
That was Super Great idea

Dino, I know a lot of people who live there. Most of the houses aren’t nursing homes or hospice. Lot of families with kids. It’s a great neighborhood. People die everywhere. Allowing people to live in a home setting rather an institutional one seems like a nice thing to me. I’m sure the ambulances showing up are a bit frustrating though especially if the siren is on.

Redwood City has very few African Americans. I can understand her feeling out of place. It’s Latino and White with some Asian. She’d be even worse off in North Fair Oaks. My understanding is that Latinos and Afr. Am. often have racial issues towards each other. She could’ve moved to East Palo Alto if she wanted to blend in more. Why did she go all the way to Oakland? That’s weird to me.

PS: Just because it was a nursing home doesn’t mean that it was bought by someone running one. I’ve no doubt that those homes are purchased by families and they simply convert some showers into baths. I’ve seen a number come onto the market–I have a feeling that what used to normal–group home care–has gone out of vogue with people moving to larger apartment style places with an on-site doctor.

1 Like

Yes I think it is a fantastic neighborhood. I would prefer it to San Carlos / Belmont areas, other than the schools. So I was hoping their would be a slight discount, but it no longer appears to be the case :frowning:

1 Like

Do you have kids who will be going to school soon?

Yes a 4 year old, and a 8 month old.

Unfortunately we should have bought in late 2012 when we initially looked. Area would have been perfect as school concerns would have been less. We were making much less money then, and couldn’t afford a 3 bedroom house unless we really stretched, so we waited. Obviously that risk would have paid off handsomely. Now our salaries combined have over doubled since then but so have housing prices!

2 Likes

So, from a school standpoint–I’m assuming you want public schools–I’d ask a couple of questions:

1. Are you interested in Spanish immersion? If so, go ahead with Woodside plaza or anywhere in RWC, but south is closer to the school (Selby Lane).
  2. Are you interested in Mandarin immersion (at John Gill)? If so, go ahead anywhere in RWC
  3. Is your kid likely to be gifted (4 year old reading or already adding numbers), if so go ahead with RWC and attempt to get into North Star (takes kids 85%ile and above using a Cogat test).

Alternately, if you’re Catholic and would consider a Catholic school, live in the south part of RWC, and put your kids into parochial school (St. Raymond’s in Menlo Park top choice) if the difference in PMI > $15K/yr (tuition for 2 kids).

Otherwise, I can see trying for San Carlos or Belmont.