More Taxes Coming to California

lol…having more kids? Right…I have my hands full with 2 as it is. Thanks for the detective work @marcus335

1 Like

There are program based funding. If EPA has more ESL students, they get more funding. If they have more GATE students, they also get more funding. Subsidized lunch also comes as program based funding I believe.

As long as your property tax is not enough to exceed the state guarantees, it really doesn’t matter how much more property tax you are paying than EPA. The total funding will be dictated by the guarantee levels set by the state.

2 Likes

Here are some of the common causes of financial issues among public schools:

2 Likes

CA also requires all schools to staff specific administrative positions regardless of school size. It’s why small schools aren’t viable. The percent of budget going to administrative salaries is way too high. It’s senseless regulation.

Who IS running this state?

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/California-Democrats-move-quickly-to-change-law-13164214.php?t=b045a79236

Democratic lawmakers in Sacramento are moving quickly on legislation to overturn a court ruling that would require the state to use $331 million to aid homeowners hit with foreclosures, money from a nationwide settlement with banks accused of abusive foreclosure practices.

A state appeals court in Sacramento ruled last month that Gov. Jerry Brown had wrongly used the $331 million to pay off deficits of state agencies that handle state housing bonds and consumer programs. The money for Brown’s actions has been appropriated for three years, each time with legislative approval, but the court said the administration had violated a 2012 state law directing use of funds from the mortgage settlement. The ruling said the state must spend the funds on programs directly assisting foreclosed homeowners.

This week, however, legislative Democrats rewrote two budget-related bills and moved them through fiscal committees in both houses on party-line votes. Both bills declare that Brown had properly cleared his funding decisions with the Legislature and had complied with the 2012 state law by using the money to bail out state agencies overseeing housing and consumer services.

1 Like

Dictators?

This is the result of one party political system. You can change rules at you will

https://www.briteca.com

Their proposed actions don’t match their stated goals. Electricity would definitely cost more and CA has some of the highest costs in the country.

1 Like
1 Like

Recall Newsom, too obsessed with raising tax

That’s why I never buy the lack of tax revenue excuse. It’s literally never enough to these people.

4 Likes

Yup. The problem is always there is not enough money.

Even when there’s a surplus, they still want to raise taxes. Evil and greedy

2 Likes

:money_with_wings:

Yup, spend $100B on more systems that’ll lose money every year.

2 Likes

Wonder how much self-driving car research is costing…

1 Like

Isn’t that nearly all transit system around the world?

1 Like

I have no idea around the world but definitely in the US. Fares collected usually only cover about half the operating expenses and none of the capital investment.

The US West coast is especially bad in that regard. Old world cities built out before cars were invented have central hubs as do East coast cities in the US. West coast cities were built around freeways. You can’t have efficient mass transit without masses of people transiting from one fixed location to another.

1 Like

Maybe no place is good. In Boston the bus system made no sense at all. And neither did the roads. At least with a grid system, it’s easy to say “To get from point A to B, I either take a bus North and then East or East and then North” and then you look for those busses. Way easier.