Mountain View Condo

Rent control goes hand in hand with just cause eviction. Once you rent it out you may never get it back without paying huge sums to tenants.

Dont ypu think a statewide legislation might come one day to bring rc to all of california?

No that will never happen. I bet they will always let local people decide for themselves.

Dont bet on it. California being the liberal that it is, anything is possible. Prices rise more, you can see it happen everywhere.

That has nothing about being liberal or not.

The appeal of costa hawkings though has good chance of passing.

www.landlord.com/rent_control_laws_by_state.htm
I saw this, didnt know los gatos had rent control

Ignore @manch. Why speculate on a hypothetical situation. The truth is that there’s no rent control for SFHs in Mountain View or anywhere in California.

1 Like

As of June 2018.

Many moderate leftists are not fond of rent control to the housing types they live in. There will be no rent control for single family houses and condos. Also most people are not fond of the idea that landlord can’t even set new rent after old tenant moves out and new tenant moves in.

The extreme leftists are not able to push strict rent control to the general public. Seems that many people are not as dumb as the left extremists think.

Use your votes wisely. Left extremists will get it and they will stupidize something else instead.

Will be of voting age in 2 years!

Is that your official prediction repeal of CH will go down?

Yeah, my prediction is that Costa Hawkins will stay. The repeal effort will be defeated by a large margin. It might win a few dumpster cities though.

We need to defeat the repeal by a huge margin. A narrow defeat would be disastrous since those left extremists would be encouraged and they will try again. Left extremists have tons of spare time to push these since they don’t have real jobs

2 Likes

Repeal of vacancy decontrol is the thing that scares me the most. That means a permanent loss of pricing power.

Say you have a rent controlled building with a controlled rent of $950 while the market rent is $3800. Today you can still hope to be able to raise the rent when the curent tenant moves(extremely unlikely) or deceased at a natural old age (inevitable). You can also buy them out and then rent at market rent.

But if Costa Hawkins is repealed and you will never be able to raise the rent to market, after many many years, you may have a rent of $1000 for a $20M house with a market rent of $0.5M. And this will become common average case instead of a sensational news item due to loss of vacancy decontrol.

Of course, the natural remedy from landlord would be never renting the $20M house at $1000 again after the tenant’s natural decease.

The eventual result would be a severe shortage of rental housing, I mean zero inventory for rental housing for a 30M people state. An evicted tenant would become homeless immediately. A new worker for google would have to purchase a house before starting a job.

Let’s hope CH will stay. :pray:

Washington state and Massachusetts state are also blue states full of liberals. But those liberals have put up a ban on rent control.

California liberals need to learn from those liberals, not SF liberals. We should not let SF’s shitty streets to lead California, shall we?

You guys are such worrywarts. Why stress over something you can’t control?

3 Likes

Only @manch is. But I suspect he’s also just venting. He has nothing better to do :rofl:

1 Like

Um um chum chum everyday…lol

1 Like

Trying to think two steps ahead. :wink:

I understand WQJ will buy during dips as he periodically picks no matter whether it is dip or hype !

I keep cash for 25% in Heloc + 10% to 15% cash always. If heloc is open (at that time), I will use it if 10k lot comes attractive !

@tomato, maintain the same stand when RE dips 20% and stocks dips 30% to 50% (depending on stock ticker) from now ! It is really hard as you need to keep it in cash or have good cash resources (salable - not dipped - stocks) !