My East Bay "affordable" real estate article

Hi all, I recently wrote an article to share ideas about a town in the East Bay that might still be affordable for people like myself who can’t afford nicer areas like Fremont, Dublin, Castro Valley, Pleasanton… I know many of you are RE investors here and I am not as knowledgeable as you but please keep that in mind!

I graduated from college 3 years ago, moved back to the East Bay and was able to find a SFH as a starter home that I could actually afford. Wanted to share my experience:

https://medium.com/@noobclear/the-last-affordable-real-estate-in-the-inner-bay-area-18842f11dd69

5 Likes

Hi there! Welcome to the party! Congrats on buying your very first SFH just 3 years removed from college.

Sure, we all weren’t born with silver or gold spoons, so we have to buy where we can afford it. I am assuming you took into consideration the school rankings of where you bought since that is a “leading indicator” for home values around here. As long as it is improving, that’s great.

1 Like

Hey quit spreading the word about San Leandro! It’s too popular already.
Kidding.

Welcome.

1 Like

First time I see boba as a selling point for RE haha…
Anyway welcome, everyone’s gotta start somewhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sfdragonboy - I realize that school rankings are leading indicators but I can’t prioritize that given my limited budget! Maybe I can make a difference and join the school board. I hear that the schools in my neighborhood are making progress and have a great group of faculty

@caiguycaiguy - is it that popular :open_mouth:, a lot of my co-workers in SF don’t know that it existed until I told them I lived there lol

harriet - boba is important to some people!! some of my friends get boba everyday lol

Feel free to correct me if anything I wrote is inaccurate

1 Like

Yeah, SL is really under appreciated. That and Castro valley are my secret towns thta give big bangs for the buck.

1 Like

It was tongue in cheek. But honestly most City people don’t know anything about the East Bay… When I worked in the City, I got so tired of saying I lived in Hayward because no one knew where that was… I finally started to answer with just East Bay and be done with.

San Leandro, San Lorenzo, and now Hayward areas are popular areas for immigrants/poorer Asians upgrading from rougher areas of Oakland. If you’re “richer,” then you go to Castro Valley.

5 years ago, there were barely any Asian restaurants and grocery stores. Now there are many more. The whole area is way more Asian now.

There is a Happy Lemon (if you like that place) opening up soon at the Greenhouse Marketplace (Washington ave and Lewelling).

2 Likes

My wife loves happy lemon. I couldn’t care less.

I believe it was Fusion Delight that we tried for the dim sum before going to the outlets one of the holiday weekends back. It was ok. Nice big facility for a wedding banquet and presumably decent parking at night in that mall.

I forgot about that Happy Lemon! Heard about it last year… Do you know when it’ll open?

I know the place well. It’s a bit pricey for me but I’ll go when invited. :grin:

Same for Pearl Bay.

I usually go to King Kong when my gf or bro wants dim sum. It’s cheaper (dirtier) and food is good enough. :man_shrugging: I’m not a foodie…

The big question is: when will ranch 99 come?

East Bay has changed a lot in the recent few years. This is from the Pacific Union International earlier this month.

Bay Area Cities Rank Among the Nation’s Best Small and Midsize U.S. Places to Live in 2018

• Hayward’s median home value has shot up by 95 percent over the past five years.

• The Alameda County city of Hayward comes in at No. 10 on the list, with an 89.34. Over the past five years, home values in Hayward have skyrocketed by 95 percent, the highest rate of appreciation recorded in any of the 25 cities included in SmartAsset’s analysis.

What does 99 Ranch look for in potential new locations? San Leandro already has nearly ~35% Asian population

Hayward being #10 on that list is amazing. This is good recognition and helps other East Bay cities…

No idea what ranch 99 looks for but it seems that part of east bay is a natural fit for them. They have locations in Dublin and Fremont right?

Which part of SL is the most “Asian”?

I personally associate 99 Ranch with richer Asian areas…There is 1 in Newark, 2 in Fremont, 1 in Dublin, and 2 in Pleasanton.

1 Like

There’s Richmond and Concord…

The new Pleasanton location is just stupid. I think they are hoarding that space so H-Mart or whoever can’t take the spot.

While trying to answer your question, I found this interesting tidbit…

1 Like

Yes but the Richmond location is like borderline to El Cerrito…

Concord… I don’t know. I’m sure they would rather be in Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill if the lease was same price :grin:!

Which part of SL is the most “Asian”?

@manch Washington Manor in SL is the most “Asian”

1 Like