Need help: To remove mold, property manager suggest to replace whole roof, that he can not guarantee too!

Which part “can’t be for real”? free legal service to low income tenants, or Gloria after Trump for political reasons?

Free legal service to low income tenants is real of course.

Gloria/Trump, I have no idea, just a little bit of speculation. I do not know Gloria and never heard her name until today.

Not a good idea to get overly politicized here, especially going off on a distant tangent with conspiracy theories.

What is “overly” politicizing? Imagine you were in a Christmas party and someone goes on and on about Trump or Hillary to the point your eyes start rolling and you just want to escape. We are a big party here and everyone is a guest. So don’t make other guests feel uncomfortable. :wink:

2 Likes

I simply provide some facts about free legal service for low income tenants some people are not aware of. Gloria/Trump was brought up by someone else.

That’s fine. Just moderate it a little bit. I am not doubting your intention.

I had it replaced 2 yrs ago for 1860sqft for $11,000 in Fremont.

1 Like

Here is the picture of the mold formation 5 inch x 5 inch appx. It is in the false ceiling connecting the outside wall. After this wall, outside gutters are there. After visiting personally and reviewed with property manager, this ceiling part will be replaced. Since it is at the end of wall, some fixes will be applied to that side of roof 5 feet x 5 feet to perm.stop any leak if any. Let me see how it goes for next two months whether this issue is stopped or not.

Spray clorox on the mold…

2 Likes

Once open up the ceiling, you can see better. If still no clue, why not leave the a hole on the ceiling, observe it in a rain.

But if there is a lot of mold behind the ceiling, you may need to do mold treatment.

That area section will be removed and replaced.

Yes, I have seen the ceiling during rainy day, no visible leak area.I had the handyman look at it, he is putting extra plate, plastic sheet to deflect water (if any) directly to gutters.

Well, for mold to form in such a specific area only, I would still recommend opening up the wall/ceiling to take a look. For all we know, water could be dripping down on the inside somehow in a manner that you aren’t seeing it from the interior. We are just grasping at straws when the answer is probably visibly just beyond some sheetrock. Again, if the goal is to see if it is worth replacing a section or an entire roof (which is pretty expensive) why not just open it up first???

Yes, this is what we are doing it first. Bold highlighted is the key. If it does not stop the issue, then it goes to Section or entire roof (we preferred) replacement. Parallel work is going on getting a quote for roof replacement.

Finally found the root cause. My handyman went up attic and found the leak/slip at vent pipe going up the roof. The cover and the filler or cement has seepage when heavy rain and only one of the vent pipe going above the bathroom has this leak.

The green arrow area has the actual leak !

All I need to do is find a person who can fix like this.

It doesn’t look bad at all, lucky for you- maybe the handyman could do it since it is right at the edge of the roof?

Oh, I am sure that was great new$ to you @Jil! I must have missed it, but I didn’t think your attic space was above the bathroom ceiling where the mold or suspected leaking was from. Obviously, I would not have recommended cutting the ceiling before looking carefully up at the attic space first for the source through testing. Didn’t your PM recommend a roof redo??? Hmmm, that’s why I don’t use PMs…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tile roofs are expensive too buy and repair. .They easily crack.They are heavy, causing 2-4X the inertial seismic force compared to comp…Stay away from tile…I fixed a leak on a comp roof last month with Henrys…Sealed up around a vent on a 28’ ladder, not bad for an old man…Roofer wouldn’t even show up for 3 weeks…

1 Like

It was alarming to me when my PM said change the roof (and not guaranteed fix). It is really hard to find out the reason unless someone deep dive into the issue and look out.

PMs are mainly first level of support to address the tenant need, ultimate decision makers are owners. They address the tenants concern and keep me informed until issue is resolved. The PM visited the home two or three times since the issue is reported and one time he was with me when I went to inspect. All these trips, he has to cover the expenses in PM fees, no extra charges. Otherwise, I have to break my head to round trip as many as times he had visited.

I am not justifying my PM action in this case, but he is doing his work and Sometimes, he/she may mis-fire too, but not always.

It is also a good lesson for me to learn the home issues.

It’s risky to rely on PM on property maintenance and repairs. Many PMs do not know much about construction. They might be good to deal with tenants. But they are not contractors and not lawyers. Landlord will still take legal and financial responsibility.

If i can find a good PM who has decent knowledge about Construciton and legal requirement. I would be interested.

PM might save you time on minor tenant and repair issues. But is there any drawback with having a PM?

1 Like

Yes, your pocketbook is slightly smaller because of them…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Now, in this case, I have sent the PM about the findings, picture (exactly as posted) and the you tube link. Hereafter, he will find a right person and work with him until completion, pay the roof guy. From now on, I will take a back stage, focus on my regular work. However, he needs to work on this issue until resolution. He has to be paid for his service and covers it in monthly fee.

This PM has around 90 homes in his area, Assuming he gets appx $250 average, it is almost $22500/month. This is his secondary business while main work is Buying/Selling Realtor work.

1 Like

Does he usually find licensed contractors or just handyman? Are you satisfied with the cost of repairs?

PM could be a steady income for realtors. I am interested in becoming a PM and manage properties for you guys. The drawback is that without a w2 income, a PM or realtor can not get mortgages to buy properties.