Palo Alto Rocking overlists

I’m a PA fan. I want a house there.

However, I don’t need one. Wants and needs are 2 separate things… :wink:

I like Los Altos Hills too :grinning:

Los Altos or Los Altos Hill?

Los Altos. Los Altos Hills a bit too far from shopping needs. It was such a stretch for me to buy in my youth that even 10% more mortgage in Los Altos was too much for me esp with high, high interest rate.

How high? When I first bought a condo, it was 8%. Life is unfair, younger folks are buying with 3-4%.

Over 12%. I had a 2nd too at that time and was paying 15%

excuse me… what?!

Can you elaborate on why so? And which part of MP?

Menlo park seem to have larger lots and newer houses. At least my observation.
Palo alto looks like people just want to be there because they have some money.

As a Berkeley grad born and raised, PA was and always will be The Farm…

What does that mean “The farm”?

Still a hick town
The Farm. Campus nickname, derived from the days when horses rather than students roamed in what previously was the farm of university founders Leland and Jane Stanford.

2 Likes

Palo Alto is pretty diverse. For the normal folks, the main draw for Palo Alto is the school system, and partly the geographical location where you can work at SF or SJ with a reasonable commute. At least for south Palo Alto, the “prestige” of having a PA address is non-existent. It’s just slightly more expensive than the neighboring cities, so to show off your wealth it will be far from satisfying.

There are some neighborhoods in north Palo Alto that have expensive houses, but there are also many neighborhoods in north PA that are just tract homes. In comparison Los Altos (and Los Altos Hills) is more uniform and you get more of a sense of “prestige” being in Los Altos than in PA I think. My beef with Los Altos is it feels too rural for me without the curbs.

1 Like

Menlo park has better homes! Palo alto is old :frowning:

I can’t stand roads without curbs. That’s pretty much a middle finger to pedestrians.

in los altos - if yes, i don’t think anybody cares :slight_smile: los altos & hills are GREAT.

My favorites, in this order, AT, MP, LA/H, MTV, PA i think.

Edit: How did i forget Atherton. Updated

Atherton and a Hillsborough don’t have sidewalks either. Pedestrians are subject to arrest… lol

1 Like

I am not a rabid fan of high walkability. But zero walkability is just ridiculous. How do people walk their dogs without sidewalks?

1 Like

From your list, I like LA & PA for school and neighborhoods (no sidewalks bother me, but love the bigger lots in LA). For MP & MTV, Asian population in schools is too small < 10%, that part bothers me.

1 Like

Just like Emerald Hills we walked everyday. No traffic no problem.