Planning to build a new home.. guide me!

Why on earth are sprinklers a requirement? Fire deaths were 3,655 in 2018. That’s total of all types of fire not just residential home fires. I don’t see how sprinklers make us safer. It’s just another cost.

1 Like

And it slows down the process big time. Those sprinkler systems needs to be inspected and the inspectors have been running way behind. Our inability to get inspected cost us a month because you can’t move past a certain point until it happens.

2 Likes

Just another special interest inflating home construction costs. Every industry only cares about grabbing a piece of the pie instead of working towards home affordability. My industry, the structural engineers association is totally guilty of this fraud perpetrated on the unsuspecting public. All seismic engineering code rules for the last 20 years are total bullshit.

1 Like

Cost of construction keeps going up . My workers Comp company send an email to me that for worker’s compensation to be effective every one one the has to be more than $35/hour . You can classify workers into codes like cleaners , painters etc but then you have to exactly document each and every hour and constantly supervise that a cleaner is not swinging hammer.

It’s almost foolish sense of adventure to think that one would be able to save money by building himself . You have to be constantly on the job and lookout out for mistakes . If these guys had the discipline , the work ethic , or diligence or self motivation to drive tasks into completion then they wouid be smart energy to go through schools systems and work google . You have to constantly watch for mistakes - the buck will stop on you . If you see cheaper quotes from one versus the other then you can pretty much assume that they will charge you change orders .

Share some quotes with us . I highly advise against building your own. If you are in tech , you are doing great and stop chasing waterfalls .

Ofcourse , my advise has zero conflicts because I don’t intend to generate any business as I don’t build for other people .

3 Likes

Thank for corroborating my suspicion.

1 Like

AS @Elt1 has mentioned, in 6 months there might be good deals available from contractors. That would make it attractive.

I’m a building contractor with recent completed projects from small additions to new construction. If your interested in chatting, feel free to reach out anytime.

Thanks
Zab 510-258-3920

What is the covid19 discount pricing? Construction costs have doubled since the 2009 recession. How much lower will they be at the bottom of this recession.

I’ve done recent projects ranging in the low to high $200 per ft. You probably already know that costs depend on types of foundations, structural details, finishes, one or two story, and whether it’s an addition or new construction. To give you a idea, I’m waiting on approvals to start a 800 sq ft detached ADU at $240 a sq.ft.

Sounds reasonable. Apartment grade quality?

Probably there are additional costs for the owner. Site work, parking, landscaping , utilities, site prep, design, permits, taxes, interest. Probably $300/sf all in. $240k. Ok if it rents for $2000/m. But what will a buyer or bank value it for?

It’s a 2 bed 2 bath unit 9’ ceilings, Milgard windows, vinyl plank flooring, tiled baths and showers, granite counters and 8’ interior doors. He will get $2500 a month easy in the Mission area of Fremont.

Good for him. Personally I would cut the price down by cutting the costs to the bone. A rental is about IRR bottom line. I wouldn’t worry about impressing a tenant or resale. ADUs don’t have much resale value. I just totally remodeled a 1300sf 3/1 house for $150k. But I used cheaper finishes. Tenants did not care.

Curious how much would be saved with 8’ ceilings cheaper 6’8” doors, carpet, fiberglass shower, laminate countertops, sheet vinyl in bath and kitchen floors?

Ya I agree. If I had to guess it’s probably 12-15k difference since it’s a small unit. I also recently remodeled a 1300 sq ft home down to the studs inside out with a new roof, and added 700 of living space including a bathroom for 275k. The homeowners supplied all the finish material of their choice.

Well for only a 5% difference maybe your client is right. My parents had an ADU when I grew up. I have had a couple. I can’t advice people to build them now. Tenants have too many rights. And the government is intent on stealing more of landlords rights. But the other big problem is banks and buyers don’t value ADUs like they would stand alone investment property. As an example. My 600 sf one bedroom ADU/pool house was valued by the bank at refi for $75k, about the cost of build in 2003. Well I rented then for $1600/m. Based on Cap rate it should have been appraised at $160k. When I sold the property, buyers gave it no value. I had two offers. Based on comparables the value add for the ADU was zero. The buyer wanted it for his maid. Not that many people want strangers in their backyard.
But I rented out to friends over 12 years at about $25k average. So $300k on a $75k investment. Pretty darned good cap rate. Plus since they were friends we used it for pool parties, too. We called it the Caddyshack. Or Katos cave.

How much would be the cost to build a new 2500sqft home in Palo Alto?
If the price is right, we may just demolish our existing and build a new.

It’s tough to say an exact sq ft price without knowing details of the home… Obviously the interior and exterior finishes have a huge impact on pricing.

Other main cost factors are driven by the structural engineer’s design of the foundation and whether it’s a hillside or flat terrain and also if your doing a single or two story. If I had to guess without having any details or have seen the site, I would say somewhere in the mid $200 per ft. With decent entry level finishes being a single story home.

1 Like

I would add at least $50-75/SF for soft costs. Demo, Design, permits and fees, financing, work outside the building line includes utilities fencing driveway walk ways, landscaping.

Additionally…Taxes, insurance and place to live during construction. Storage fees moving costs in/out.

1 Like

I also do believe the city would credit me impact fees for the existing structure square footage, along with utility and school district fees.

I purchased a couple vacant lots recently which previously had homes there and were fire damaged. I demolished the house and I was told that I’m credited for the applicable fees. If I build anything larger than the existing home, I’d pay for the difference.

Yes they do give a credit. But if cities were serious about affordable housing they would get rid of these outrageous fees. School impact fee, road mitigation fee, parks in lieu fee. Cities are racketeering mafias. They are a protection racket for nymbies. These fees can add up to be up to $5/sf. Add 1000sf… $5k of pure extortion.