Playing Defense in the coming slowdown - Housing

Exactly what I thought they are thinking.

1 Like

For grins i was looking at SFH in Cupertino yesterday. per craigslist they are running about $3200 - $3500 for a 3 BR in Cupertino. If we assume it costs $1.5M to buy these. Really makes no sense to buy to rent at this point in the market (if you are looking at a short to medium term)

It is interesting to see how the tax reform of 2017 is playing out. As the mortgage deduction is reduced for new home purchases BUT NOT for homes purchased for the purposes of being used as rentals, it seems that policy has now tilted in another way ----- i.e. the market will find the ā€œBest economic useā€ for a piece of property.

1 Like

I donā€™t follow markets on the Peninsula or South Bay very carefully. Jeez, SF looks like a smoking hot deal compared to those prices in Cupertino.

Rents are way better in SF and Peninsula compared to the south bay

SF has higher rent due to its strict regulation on rent control and just cause eviction. Once rented out, it will be almost impossible to get back the property. Also many transient population who have no interest to settle down in the city.

Just make sure you own property which does not fall under rent control rules (a/k/a - no on prop 10 :slight_smile: ) and then raise rent consistently like 10% per year but not all at once if you want the property back.

1 Like

You can see a sample here. Rents are high in Fremont.

https://hotpads.com/5150-roycroft-way-fremont-ca-94538-1m7ssc5/pad?baths=2-8plus&beds=2-8plus&lat=37.5220&lon=-121.9746&price=3000&propertyTypes=house-townhouse&z=14

I see lots of homes that are being snatched by investors for rent. even high end homes are being bought by investors. maybe they are betting on upswing

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/7072-Kindra-Hill-Dr-95120/home/1005363
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/San-Jose-CA-95120/19837697_zpid/97988_rid/37.235385,-121.818638,37.197176,-121.876746_rect/13_zm/

1 Like

How about parking spaces in Hong Kong?

I always feel thatā€™s impractical, even though it technically works as an investment.

With all the talk about the future of transportation in the states - less car ownership, electric autonomous cars, fleets of cars, etc ā€¦

Why do HK people continue to aspire to own cars? They have had awesomely efficient and clean autonomous transportation for decadesā€¦ called MTR. Is it just all about status or is there something else too?

Will car ownership decrease in HK over time or no way jose?

Car ownership should be like owning attique or art. You may use it once in a while, but not for daily commute.

1 Like

Talk only :slight_smile: In California only, right?

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you buy low so you can get high returns. Right?

So, the good old times when you bought a home for $350K are gone. 2009-2010 was the best time to buy and get the rents of today. Otherwise, I think you have to leverage the income from other properties to alleviate the loss on the new one and wait for better times.

A house in my hood, homes about $800K+ was rented for $3,300 a 3/2. East San Jose.

Homes were $85K 30 years ago, and you could easily have bought one, a fixer upper or similar for $250K-$300K in 2009-2010. In 2011 people woke up and started to buy houses. I am a witness to that.

Car ownership in Hong Kong is a status symbol only. Silly if you ask me.

Heard stories about some HK women only dating men with cars because they donā€™t want to be sized up and down by strangers in subway. :smile:

There is a special word for it: č¦–å§¦ć€‚Rape by looking.

They should be happy that they got sized up. Itā€™d be a tragedy if they didnā€™t :rofl:

They are hot or perceive they are hot? Most of them are not as shapely as American women. HK women are airport and bamboo shape.

1 Like

For those who insist their boyfriends have cars I guess they are indeed hot.