Question regarding long term capital loss

Compared to Stockton, Tracy is expensive. Plenty appreciation and cash flow in Stockton. I think the op overimproved and will take a hit either as a landlord or as a flipper.

Stockton is a dirt cheap place where sec 8 landlords laugh all the way to the bank.

This Tracy house at 550k. How much can it rent?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tracy/1711-Treehaven-Ln-95376/home/19744547

Wild guess $3k

How about this Tracy condo? This might be positive

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tracy/824-Applegate-Ct-95376/unit-100/home/19763253

Revised $2500/m for the house.
Condo $2k?

1 Like

Oh…depending from the Communist regime in CA you mean? :laughing:

Sorry guys, but houses in my hood, 4/2, painted and fixed, etc, are renting for $3,300 and we are talking at a stone throw distance from the major employers.

Keep dreaming.

Cash flow positive though?

1 Like

I think so.
My point is that homes out of the real silicon valley commanding $3K+ in rental income are like which we may call…wishful thinking?

But I am not an expert on prices out of this area. :wink:

I edited to ask this question: How much of a home can you buy with $3,300?

Start from there to realize income.

My San Bruno 4/3 SFH is total $4,500 gross rent (actually low, inlaw underpriced intentially) and my mortgage is about $2800. Now that the San Mateo Assessor has agreed to my challenge of the property assessment amount back to my actual private purchase price (not some theoretical guess price by some lame junior assessor) I will be cash positive slightly. Helped by 1031 proceeds of course…

2 Likes

You should expand your portfolio rather than focusing on any kind of cash flow.

If I were a young lad like yourself, sure. But me old and wanting to enjoy the remaining chapters of me life…

Can’t wait for my cruise next week…

1 Like

@Elt1, need any Mount Gay rum from Barbados???

Positive cash flow or at least neutral is required if you want to exapand. Negative cash flow will force you to stop expansion

Your W2 paystub is your positive cash flow.

Using w2 job to subsidize rental properties is a lot of pain. Plus, your limited paycheck will cap your expansion pretty quickly

1 Like

No pain no gain.

1 Like

Negative cash flow in Tracy is a waning signal. Maket is peaking or has peaked.

Then why don’t you sell all your properties and store everything under the mattress.