Quora: Will house prices go down in the Bay Area?

Yes. Fremont rentals are in demand.

FB effect.
Certain zipcodes in Austin are hot to very hot. Some are neutral to cold. Pretty local :slight_smile:
Some neighborhoods have high rent cheaper prices (higher yield), some have lower rent more expensive prices (lower yield). Every neighborhoods are different.

I think there is an oversupply of family oriented SFHs.

The advantage of Fremont is that you can commute to everywhere (from SF all the way to downtown SJ) in about an hour. All the hot startups are in SF and all major tech companies are in South Bay. So even couples without kids want to live in Fremont. Pacific Commons has good restaurants thankfully.

Where can we buy good deals on December? I am thinking to buy a bargain rental property in December.

I just scanned Redfin, there’s no attractively priced properties from SF to SJ. Are sellers giving up on pricing low now? Almost all listings try to ask for a big price and I can’t find anything that makes me want to make an offer tonight.

Am I too picky or are sellers suddenly became greedy?

Then make a stinky bid :slight_smile:

There’s no such thing anymore. You are 3 years too late. Just buy anything that’s available on the market. I’m sure it will at least break even within your lifetime.

2 Likes

So should I give up before trying? :rofl:

I remember to see good deals 2 months ago. Now the good deals are gone. Only thing left are bad ones.

Geographically, seems that all the remote places have had the climax appreciation and they are all high now. I feel that the fringe areas are worse buy today due to high price and bigger risk in the downturn.

I think you can still buy in Antioch and get some positive cash flow.

I’m now willing to go the 2-4 unit route in order to stay in core BA. Will checkout Antioch online

Fremont still has some decent deals. You can get a SFH for 900-950K in a mediocre school district. Rents are up contrary to the posts here. If you consider the principal pay down, you will be close to cash flow neutral.

2 Likes

Good luck with rent control…

That’s a good way of cheating your brain… :rofl:

1 Like

Sold for 1.47
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/2496-Villanova-Rd-95130/home/814878

for rent now asking 4K.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/19660799_zpid/37.290392,-121.976674,37.268572,-122.007573_rect/14_zm/

1 Like

Listed for $1.625M

I think for rental it’s better to stick close to 900k because you will get 3000-3200 rent for that. If it’s a SFH you are betting on good appreciation too.

I get $3400 for a house and cottage in South Lake Tahoe. Paid $355k 2 years ago. 3 times better ROI. These BA prices are too high for investors.
May be price reduced soon if interest rates keep going up.

2 Likes

I got $1800 for a condo in BA which I paid only $100k 5 years ago.

I bought a SFH in Austin for $200k, now renting out for $4000. According to zillow, is worth nearly $500k.

1 Like

Really? Show me such a house.