Renting vs Buying in Bay Area

With regards to Daly City vs Fremont…Is there a difference between the types of tenants and the demand in these areas? High quality tenants are easier to manage.

I don’t use a property manager but it’s not hard at all. In fact it can save you a lot of money with doing less than an hour per week of work. And I manage many rentals myself. The only slightly time consuming part is finding a new tenant when the old one moved out. But I’ve done that so many times it’s become a no brainer for me.

1 Like

Manch has learned to think from the perspective of the OP, yes, context of the question is implied :slight_smile: I have thought about this question before and did some rough computation, is workable from the cash flow point of view for sure. May or may not work depending on the relative appreciation rate of the houses.

I’ve never owned stock in a company that told me they were raising money from existing shareholders to cover repairs or renovations. They might issue more stock and dilute your ownership, but they don’t ask you to pay more for stock you already own.

You need to be financially responsible to be a landlord. You need money in reserve for vacancy and repairs. Most people have less than $1,000 saved. They should never be landlords.

1 Like

These landlords spend the security deposits?

I don’t think landlords are the ones with less than $1,000 saved. Those people are renters.