Residents increasingly unhappy with Bay Area life, new poll finds

Ad companies like google and Facebook? One organizes the world’s information and the other digitizes human relationships. No small feat. Give me more of those.

Impact will only be obvious in hindsight. The tech companies that many made fun of here, like Uber and Tesla, are also transformative. Are they based in Austin? Nope. Right here in SV.

Can I get an iPhone for free? When did you turn into a communist?

Apple didn’t sell your privacy! Earn $$$ the hard way. Design a useful product called iPhone which spawn many cool apps including Uber :scream: and revive RISC supremacy! Most importantly, gave many jobs to ordinary folks not just the elite SWEs. Those guys can now afford homes and cars, not get pushed out by elitists and smart asses.

Why is selling phones so hard? Several hw companies are already doing that as well in various countries.

What G/F have done has been proven to be difficult to replicate, even after 20 yrs within countries with no network effect.

Uber/Lyft also changed our lives that no other companies can do well at scale. Im sure they’ll be the next ones in the coming bull market.

Btw, Amazon also sells & buys people’s private data all the time to sell ads, but i hear nobody complaining. Theyre also now more expensive than other marketplace but they can reliably deliver in 2 days so who cares. :-/

1 Like

Do more scuttlebutt! What are they doing behind the scenes? They are doing what IBM use to do and more :wink: Anyhoo, you just said it, they are monopolies earning monopolistic profit, break’em up, vote Warren!

On further thought, let cite the publicly known situation. Instagram and WhatsApp were acquired. Have they not been acquired, is reasonable to assume that they could grow into large profitable companies. In that scenario, they would become competent competitors to FB. Which is better for consumers and the society? Now or that possibility?

Google and Facebook are not selling your data. If so where can I buy it? I’d like to see your address and credit card numbers if you don’t mind.

What they do is sell advertisers access to you. If you think a bit more it’s not the same thing.

A well targeted ad is just another form of useful information. I often click on ads on my Facebook feed because I find them interesting. If you ignore all the ads you don’t lose anything. Advertisers don’t know get any of your information even if you click on the ads.

None of this is transformative. The first electric car was invented and marketed in 1891 and Tesla’s failure to generate a consistent profit after more than a decade proves the idea is as flawed now as it was then. There’s a reason ICE cars won the battle. Many, actually.
There are lots of search engines. Bing beats Google most of the time. More links relevant to your query. Less political bias.
And digitizing relationships? This is transformative - a step forward? Really? Give me LESS of those. Give me more breakthroughs like the microprocessor or genetic engineering. Compared to the old days Silicon Valley at its current best just innovates around the edges.

2 Likes

Were EVs as widely available before TSLA? Was it considered premium and cool or was it like driving a golf cart?

You seem to confuse university research projects with real world commercial products. By your standard no commercial product is transformative because they are all based on basic research invented in college labs.

The 1891 version was a commercial venture, not a college research project.
DeLorean’s were cool to own. They were in the movies. That doesn’t mean there was a viable, long term market for them.

Tesla made EV cool and mainstream again. Suddenly every car manufacturer needs an EV strategy. Even if it collapsed tomorrow it still has made a dent in the universe, to quote Steve Jobs.

First day of skiing. Awesome blue skies. Powdery snow. Skiing Heavenly looking down at blue Lake Tahoe and the fog over Carson Valley. Truly a magical day. Love being a Californian. I will do my damnedest to make sure Newsom and the wacko left doesn’t fuck it up.

4 Likes

Inspiring sentiments but I fear it is already too late.

My first time skiing in California was at Heavenly… with the views it sure lives up to its name. I doubt Tahoe has changed as much as the bay area.

New research: Using Facebook makes you fat and loony.

Thanks to the TRPA, Tahoe is stuck in the 80s. Only 80 houses a year are allowed to be built in the whole Tahoe basin of 600 sq miles.
Heavenly is one of the most crowded ski resorts in the country, but is fairly empty midweek. Great snow and beautiful views. Squaw Valley is more challenging, but at 65 challenging skiing isn’t that important to me.

1 Like

When I was growing up we always went to Homewood. I’m not sure why. Enjoyed it though since I didn’t know any better.
My favorite ski spot wasn’t in Tahoe at all - it was Badger Pass in Yosemite. Perfect for the intermediate skier.

1 Like