Indices & ETFs

Reminder that we are still in correction:

As of Thursday, both the Dow and the S&P have been in correction territory for 98 trading days. This stands as the longest such stretch since the financial crisis in 2008, when 108 days passed before the two exited corrections.

Should the two primary market gauges stay in correction for another 11 days — through July 16, given the Fourth of July holiday next week — and exceed the length of the 2008 correction, that will mean they are in their longest such stretch since 1984. In that stretch, it took the S&P 122 days to emerge from correction territory, and the Dow 123 days, according to the WSJ Market Data Group.

So it’s time to get bullish…

Please go lower, I need to buy a lot of VOO :slight_smile:
The market is very annoying, where are the bears?

You want $100M net worth yet you are buying an index fund?

1 Like

I manage many accounts, didn’t count, should be more than 10.
Some accounts hold silly things like VOO and some hold dividend paying stocks. These don’t need much attention, buy and forget.

You are the master of AAPL hold ! Still vote for Index fund?

Index funds are for common people who does have any idea/knowledge about investments.

If market goes down, I will simply go for FAANG stocks, if I have some money, and they are far better than index funds.

You miss my long lecture on this?
Most people don’t care about stock picking and hate reading financial statements. They really don’t want to spend time monitoring investment. My children are those people. Blah blah blah.

Correct, Index fund is only for them. The returns are low :smiley:

1 Like

Low return low risk. High return high risk…How many will make $100m ?
1 in a million? Who is willing to risk every thing just to make an arbitrary amount…Say you only get to $50m.
Who is willing to risk it all to get a $100m.
Besides if gambling is in your blood there will never be enough…There has to a goal besides just the money…or the game will never end until massive debt or death…

No pain no gain. You want extraordinary results, you need to make extraordinary bets! :laughing:

But the results are just numbers. How much will your life change if you have $100m as opposed to $50m or even $10m…Most people would rather be comfortable than always be swinging for homeruns …like climbing without a rope, excessive risk is doomed to failure. One slip and you are dead or broke. Musk loves the jazz and the risk… He will slip and lose everything…It is in his DNA

Why be a Debbie Downer. Without risk-taking by our forerunners we’re probably still stuck in our ancester’s cave. We all should embrace people like Musk. They are the ones who can make a difference to our lifes.

I take calculated risks and have done well. I enjoy profits more than risks. People like Musk aren’t in it for the money. They just love the thrill of risk. Like race car drivers, rock climbers, extreme sports nuts,
base jumpers and other adrenalin junkies… I don’t trust people like that with my money…

This is not the way to invest… Always have a safety net.

Dan Osman died 20 years ago. They guy who beat his record will follow in his footsteps.
He beat the record by 10 seconds…Is 10 seconds worth dying for?

Is an extra few million you don’t realy need worth losing everything?
Risk should be measured and relative.

1 Like

Yes, this is what we need to do instead of just buying indexes !

If you want that, then be a founder of a company. Anything else and you’re just pretending about wanting to be super rich.

2 Likes

I don’t think @hanera is interested in devoting such time and effort for that though.

Compare to bond and Treasury which requires some tending, index fund is far better :slight_smile: and yet the transaction volume for both is higher than index fund and AAPL. Different purpose :slight_smile:

19%20AM

1 Like

I am forming a company :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, compared to bond, treasury, the index funds are far better. All these instruments, Bonds, treasury and Index funds are for common people who does not like to accelerate further.

Any moderate stock investor, who can spend daily 1 hour reading good investment books and balance sheet, can make better returns than these three.

No one is 100% perfect. I understand WB has made wrong decisions, but his success rates are higher level. Higher the success rate, better we are.

The reason for reading books is to educate our-self, refine pick, increase success rate and repeat these forever. Simple concepts will be enough to pick, buy, hold and profit.

Minimum these 3 books should have been completed by everyone

Simple and for starters (How to pick)

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Money-Stocks-Winning/dp/0071614133

Seasoned investors (what to do and not to do)

https://www.amazon.com/Investment-Checklist-Art-Depth-Research/dp/0470891858

Experienced investors (Hard to read/understand)

https://www.amazon.com/Margin-Safety-Risk-Averse-Strategies-Thoughtful/dp/0887305105

The last one can easily seen by internet download.

1 Like

Looking from another perspective.

For beginners.

Growth investing.

Value investing.

1 Like