Indices & ETFs

If someone wants to buy FAANG via sector ETF, she would have to buy 3; consumer discretionary, comm services and tech. People thinking they will get all the tech names in “tech” are in for a rude surprise.

1 Like

Just buy individual stocks. Buy ETFs only if you want to capture the whole market. For example, VTI.

In order to reduce the influence of the tech companies, reclassified them to different industries :clap:t2: American logic?

You can’t really do anything else. All companies will be tech companies in the future, in the sense that they all use tech heavily. Like Redfin using tech to sell real estate.

Using tech is not a tech company. Otherwise any companies can be a tech, an energy, a housing, … company👶

Any company doing any R&D would need to do some “tech” R&D. Say Toyota, it’s working on its own self driving systems. Is it “tech”? If not why is Waymo under Google a “tech” company?

The line is getting blurrier and blurrier to the point of being useless.

A good percent of market volume is driven by ETF. I’m not sure if this will be a net positive or negative. They won’t get trashed on days tech is down, but they also won’t get the uplift on good days.

1 Like

Being a tech company in the future is like being an “electric” company 100 years ago. GE - General Electric actually put electric into its name like Amazon putting “.com” in its name. But nowadays every company involves electricity somehow and it’s silly saying which company is electric and which one is not.

1 Like

When that happen, tech ceased to be an industry :joy:

Breath has been improving, despite what pundits say. Don’t let the headlines fool you. It’s not just the hot tech names that are pushing market higher.

1 Like

Broad set of companies…so no impact of trade war?:grinning:

Trade war: So far, a lot of smoke, not much fire.

2 Likes

A media war instead?

Trade tariffs are real but it’s not hurting USA. Media is trying to make this a midterm election issue and it’s not working. It won’t help the Rent Control Party.

Prop 10 has finally alienated good people from the rent control party

1 Like

Any topic can be turned into prop 10 :slight_smile: The bubble blowing stock market would continue for another few years. Nobody is in the mood of getting out yet. Market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Just because a stock has rallied, say 3x, over a few years, doesn’t mean the valuation is correct, it can stay overvalued for a long time. So when Mr Market decides to value correctly, stock price can tumble a lot. Is the reason why buy and hold WB doesn’t want to buy overvalued stock. However, traders don’t care :slight_smile: because they don’t hold for long anyway, only need another fool to buy from you. In this forum, only wuqijun and me are buy n hold investors. Jil is trying to become one, let see whether he can withstand not selling during a bear market. manch, tomato, marcus, etc are clearly traders.

1 Like

Yes, I have to withstand the pressure.

Many times regretted not selling TEVA recently as the 10% drop recently was huge and I was unable to buy more TSLA when I saw $296 without selling TEVA !

My allocation 85% seems to be too high.

Wasn’t Teva supposed to be a buy and hold for you? It just bounced back 5% today…

AAPL was 100% for many years, now still above 80% :grimacing:

1 Like

Margin😱

Whatever I bought TSLA was margin even though I hate that margin 10.25%.

Proud to be a trader. Call me Trader Manch and buy a bag of avocado from me. :smile: