Indices & ETFs

Currency crisis is good for bitcoin and USD. And good for mortgage rate and housing market.

Turkey will save Bay Area housing market.

Can foreigners buy houses as rental property in Turkey? Lira lost 40% value, did Turkey home price change much in terms of Lira?

Currency crisis was caused by appreciating USD. Its the cause and not the effect. Higher rates caused USD to appreciate.

Forex is not that black and white. The Lira crisis leads to investors escaping to other “safer” currencies like the USD. Demand can go up due to haven status.

1 Like

Rush to US currency is pretty black and white. Isnt it?

The actual Lira crisis was precipitated by US Sanctions. Funds were already losing their patience due to high inflation, dictator like grip of Erdogan and crony capitalism promoted by him. This was bound to happen.

I think US just send a signal in geopolitics that having dreams of past grandeur is a stupid idea in today’s age. Erdogan was dreaming of a new caliphate.

WMT is up 10% on results

Lira seem to be going down recently.

On what? Did their online business posted unexpected results? Not interested in WMT, but out of curiosity.

So are all currencies, against dollar. But they arent in crisis. Lira is.

EUR is weak because of the turmoil in Turkey (fear that it will spread to Europe).

GBP is weak because of the lack of trade deal with Brexit approaching.

Other currencies have been fairly stable (JPY, CHF, etc.). Again there are many reasons that drive currency movements.

Weak and In Crisis. Vastly different things.

This would be interesting:

No. I want my quarterly data. This is BS.

1 Like

less work for us. 2 times a year to prepare budget instead of 4

1 Like

“ In early June, corporate heavyweights Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, and J.P. Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon bemoaned the quarterly guidance system, in which companies forecast expectations of their future earnings.”

Not the same as quarterly report. You can refuse to issue guidance like WB.

Let’s see what SEC study will say.

Is quarterly reporting a world standard started by USA? If we change, other countries may need to change.

Which “world’s top” CEO suggested 6 month reporting?

“ In speaking with some of the world’s top business leaders I asked what it is that would make business (jobs) even better in the U.S. “Stop quarterly reporting & go to a six month system,” said one. That would allow greater flexibility & save money. I have asked the SEC to study!

4:30 AM - Aug 17, 2018”

Don’t ask the barber whether you need a haircut.

Don’t ask students whether they should have exams.

1 Like

Without quarterly reporting, some people will lose their jobs. Maybe it’s best to not change this. Just follow the customs, no point to change this since it’s not clear whether it would benefit.

Maybe Wall Street will be scared and spend a lot of money to lobby.

An interesting drama for Wall Street

Trump would make a horrible product manager. Making decisions by whoever talks to him last rather being driven by data/analysis.

1 Like

He listens and then delegates. No idea whether it would get any traction.

It’ll get wall street and accountants on the toe for a while. I guess they will lobby and kill this idea