Schools

This is a super, super bad idea. Just saw some stat the other day how low income kids lost months of learning because of the Covid school shutdown. This is another blow to public school kids who skew lower income.

3 Likes

agreed. People who can will move to richer neighborhoods and private schools. ugh. I hate this.

1 Like

The teachers unions have destroyed the school system. The whole schedule was changed to accommodate teachers not parents. Curriculum is designed for the politically correct… not to benefit students.

3 Likes

It’s way more basic than moving or private schools. Higher income people can probably just WFH Fridays, and everything will be fine. Lower income people would have to take Friday off work without pay or leave their kids home unsupervised. It just magnifies the gaps that already exist.

3 Likes

Wow.

But, I don’t understand the complaints about Thanksgiving week off. I LOVE IT. That way if we’re travelling, we don’t have to fly on Wednesday with 20% of the US, but we can leave earlier in the week and not miss school. One of our kid’s school’s is on a trimester break and they do PT conferences then.

1 Like

Sometimes, but sometimes not. Lawyers need to meet with clients (and not in the playroom) and medical personnel have to be on and in the hospital when they’re on.

BUT it’s definitely an issue to be losing 1/5 of your “free” babysitting hours.

1 Like
1 Like

: “What if we flipped the current model of public education on its head and made the standard of learning the constant and time the variable? What if the goal of education was to get all children truly ‘life ready’ no matter what the obstacle?”

This would benefit gifted kids tremendously, though there should also be a way to keep them in school/local if they are not mature enough to leave the home. The ability to apply to college early, though, would be helpful.

I don’t know what to say. If they’d tried to stay open during the pandemic, parents wouldn’t have taken their kids out and put them into private schools or homeschooled. This is the teacher’s union’s fault.

And frankly claiming that kids need services now more than ever because the schools weren’t available to them seems like “You failed the kids once, and NOW you want money to make it up?”

I believe there’s also a ballot initiative going that would allow for vouchers for private/parochial schools. That’ll hurt even more, but at least put the money into the schools that helped students during the pandemic.

3 Likes
1 Like

An interesting old article. I don’t think anything has changed much so it’s still very much relevant today.

The Tiger Parents of Silicon Valley

The Wall Street Journal came out with an article in 2005 documenting “The New White Flight,” a twist on the term used to describe the phenomena of white people moving out of poor neighborhoods, taking their tax dollars with them, and often leaving largely black schools derelict and underfunded. At Lynbrook and nearby schools, the Journal writes, whites weren’t quitting schools because the schools were bad. And they weren’t harming them academically when they left; more Asians just moved in.

“Quite the contrary,” the article read. “Many white parents say they’re leaving because the schools are too academically driven and too narrowly invested in subjects such as math and science at the expense of liberal arts and extracurricular activities like sports and other personal interests. The two schools, put another way that parents rarely articulate so bluntly, are too Asian.”

1 Like

We embrace diversity, just not too much.
:wink:

1 Like

Quite the contrary,” the article read. “Many white parents say they’re leaving because the schools are too academically driven and too narrowly invested in subjects such as math and science at the expense of liberal arts and extracurricular activities like sports and other personal interests. The two schools, put another way that parents rarely articulate so bluntly, are too Asian.”

Not sure how much these parents realize it, but colleges are being swamped with academically strong kids, and using sports as a deciding factor. Colleges such as…MIT and Caltech.

1 Like
1 Like

Some schools may not have done state testing, but other kinds of testing like iReady…

Ha. we are of Asian descent (Indian) and somewhat tiger parents, and we actively chose NOT to live in Sunnyvale/Cupertino and PA,etc due to the high pressure environment.

5 Likes

That’s why you’re not CEO!

:joy: joking

1 Like
2 Likes