See, Don't Mess With Yelp

Told you yelp’s restaurant reviews are bullshit.

Again, there will always be some negative (see Craigslist) but overall Yelp is a very, useful tool. It is free. It is on your phone. It doesn’t close down at 10pm (like last night after the Warrior game when I was hungry). When you need an address or phone for pretty much any business you can look it up through Yelp for the most part.

Come on, you used to work for a big boy high tech outfit. There will always be some folks who are rah rah company and then there are those in the other camp. Hopefully, more positive than negative nets out, and I am quite sure Yelp is overwhelmingly positive.

(Disclaimer: I do not own the company stock but it was a client of ours and I had it for a number of years.)

Where is the outcry about this type of padding, hmmm???

Interesting. We had elevator signs where we were encouraged to post reviews. That is targeting everyone though. I imagine only people who are really happy or really angry post reviews. People in the middle just aren’t motivated enough to do a review. You see that with Yelp where it’s mostly 1 or 5 star reviews.

1 Like

I have a wide range of yelp reviews (57 total and I have 15 - 5 star, 7- 4 star, 9 - 3 star, 11-2 star and 11 - 1 star). And if I have a 1 star review I guarantee you it’s because I complained at the place of service and was either dismissed or nothing was done about the issue after lots of back and forth on an issue. The major problem facing these review sites (airbnb, uber, yelp, etc) is that the companies have basically set it up that if you don’t have 4.75 or higher you are deemed in adequate and punished as a business, this means if you leave a 3 or 4 star review for someone you are reaming them when really this is just average, so everything is inflated up. it’s really annoying and isn’t helpful for the consumer when average means 5 stars.

1 Like

Even the high court said, don’t F with Yelp!!!

Like I said before, I don’t post that much on Yelp. And if I do, it is to rave about someone usually, not to punish them. That said, the one of the few times I left a very negative review it was for an Oakland plumbing firm that did not complete the job as contracted for. Someone actually weeded through what were mostly positive reviews and clicked on mine as useful.

I get it, grade inflation everywhere but seriously use Yelp as a mere guide not as black or white I say. If I am out of town, I need a place to eat and will use Yelp to find something. I hope my own eating experience is compatible with the overall Yelp rating. If not, I am not going to come here and cry about it.

1 Like