Sell or keep - rental unit

Ideally there shouldn’t be sovereign states :slight_smile: Artificially separating human beings by geography and history.

Good point. But, I was pointing to the sanctity of the exchange. If an exchange allows a company that is accused of cooking its book to trade, it hurts the trust in the exchange. (not suggesting Baidu cooks it books). That is one reason why many Chinese companies have been asked to de-list from US exchanges. The companies must follow GAAP standards.

Anything that Trump did is for politics. I don’t trust Trump at all.

So, is it not good to demand companies listing in the US exchanges disclose their books per the standards that everyone else uses? Why single out Trump for that?

You are assuming US exchanges don’t know what they are doing till Trump come along. Ditto for many things Trump is saying about previous Presidential admin and organizations. This is pure BS.

The Chinese stock market hasn’t gone anywhere in ten years yet there economy is booming. Looks like someone is cooking the books. Shanghai has been stuck at 3000 except for a blip in 2015.

I know why it was going along. And if something wrong was going along does it mean it has to continue?

WS and MS are not always correlated. Who say must correlate? Ideally?

You listed a whole slew of worrisome trends. I will try to write out some of my thoughts on them. Constructive comments are always welcome.

I don’t think the H1B restriction will last beyond 2020. It clearly hurts our competitiveness and will be reversed by Biden. You didn’t mention this but Trump also cut federal research funding. SV is really nothing but a commercialization machine of university research projects. Hopefully all these will be course corrected in November.

I have written quite a bit on the WFH trend. When people say WFH works, they mean it works under these conditions:

1. Everybody in their own company works remote; and
  2. Everybody in their competitor companies also works remote.

I have written how managing a hybrid office+remote progress is troublesome. It’s neither here nor there. So the current efficiency gain hinges upon 100% of their workforce being remote. But that’s inherently an unstable equilibrium. What will Facebook and Google do with their existing offices? Facebook itself will reopen their office tomorrow. As soon as a significant number of staff are back in the office, the hybrid process problem will rear its ugly head.

The second point is also important. Let’s say decision making is 20% more efficient when people meet face to face in office. Right now almost every tech company is remote so no one is capitalizing on that efficiency edge. But having all your competitors being remote is again an unstable equilibrium. Sooner or later someone is going to seize on that competitive advantage. 20% compound is a serious advantage.

This post has gone on long enough. In my second post let me tell you why having a remote engineering workforce is actually super bullish for SV. So in case my analysis above is wrong you have even more reason to stay, not less. :blush:

1 Like

Theoretical question. Who say there is something wrong?

Back to OP question.

If can withstand the negative cash flow, should just rent it out since he wants to hedge the possibility of coming back. Ironically, should he come back, he should wish for price has declined rather than appreciated because the absolute dollar difference between the NSJ TH and his new Primary would be smaller for the same % increase.

A trivial example,
…x …x … bot… come bk1…come bk2
NSJ TH … 800… 400… x… 1600
Primary… 1000…500… x… 2000
$ diff… x… 200… 100…x… 400

1 Like

Then what is wrong in Chinese companies too following GAAP standards as every other company listed in the US exchanges do.

Who say there is something wrong? Why are they allowed to be listed? We must first establish why they are allowed to be listed and what is wrong now that they shouldn’t be which previously is ok. Who is setting the rules? Has someone powerful decide to change the rule and hence has to be de-listed?

There is a saying in the English. “You do not bite the hand that feeds you.” With so much tension going around in SC sea, Taiwan, Hongkong, India, and now Russia The Chinese government is making it difficult for its corporations to have easy access they once had. You are right. It is all politics, rather Geo-politics.

This is what stock market made you to assume that everything looks normal and this is what market makers job to fool common investors and they achieved what they desired.

See Governments are struggling to re-open the economy as the cases are increasing daily alarmingly. Nowadays, all virus rates are doubled. In addition to big unemployment, 3 Million people are sick and their families are disturbed/struggling with it.

The impact, esp in USA, continue to roll for many years until some kind of medicine is in place.

Almost 90 % of economy is already open. Only things like Gym, Bars, Indoor activities, travel are the ones that are still operating at less than full capacity.

???

Human dog relationship?

Not all are that bad. I have a great one. 8% only when rented. Diamond certified top 5 Bay Area and no rebates from repair work. Trusted hand.

Some rare but bad property managers have put landlords in trouble. Some of them came with good reference. At the end of the day, a property manager is just an agent of the owner. Landlord still carries all the risk. At least that is what I understand. Not all property manager are bad, but a landlord should not leave everything on the property manager, just as a parent should not assume that the teacher is taking the best care of the children.

The 20% advantage you quote is indeed a real problem for some companies.
My employer has several competitors and the biggest one is not in the US but in a country which seemingly has not been impacted as much by COVID. So their employees are able to come into the office, plan and execute better and steal deals from under our noses.
This is driving my CEO nuts and as much as he wants us all in the office asap, he has to abide by CA government rules.

1 Like