Silicon Valley's overwork culture

996 is insufficient should change to XX7

Thatā€™s no way to actually live. Maybe itā€™s worth it for a few years if the exit is good enough.

1 Like

In communist countries, people work 7 days and 12 hours per day. They are busy but just donā€™t produce much. North Koreans work 7 days a week, 10-12 hours per day. Maybe in communist country, work is like playing and they can work(ā€œplayā€) for 7X12.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-hours-does-the-average-North-Korean-work

3 Likes

Happens here too in some places. If youā€™re going to be in the office 12-14 hours, youā€™ll go out for a longer lunch break, take a dinner break, maybe play a game for a break. When you have to pick up the kids, make dinner, help with the homework, etc., you donā€™t have time for breaks. So you motor though it, and head home.

Not saying which person gets more done overall, but the person who has to get to work, get it done, and get out, gets more done per hour.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also 007. Non stop.

I agree with jack ma. If you donā€™t work hard when you are young when do you work hard?

He also said if you are only after the money you canā€™t sustain that kind of schedule. You must have some ā€œmissionā€ you want to accomplish. I agree with that too.

1 Like

Essentially people who canā€™t do 996 should not work for BABA period. Erica wants the reward without willing to sacrifice. Every company has its own corporate culture, fo if you donā€™t fit in. Erica tries the righteous argument that a certain demographic is excluded, so what! If BABA needs them, BABA has to adjust accordingly to get them in, BABA doesnā€™t need them for now.

1 Like

ā€œLast year, he announced that he would step down as executive chairman in the near future.ā€

Guess heā€™s done working hard.

Something not mentioned here, but if heā€™s working 996, whoā€™s taking care of the kids?

One of the reasons American-parents have to stick within a 9-5 job is that both parents are working and both parents are dealing with kids in the evening. If Ma isnā€™t married, has live-in in-laws, or full time nanny, or a SAHM for a wife, he can work whatever hours he wants. Not everyone has these things.

Founders work 24x24x7x365. Donā€™t start any businesses if youā€™re unwilling to.

His wife.

Wrong thinking. Wives have to support husbands. Laurene stayed at home taking care of children. If Iā€™m not wrong, MacKenzie is also a SAHM.

If canā€™t convince wife to be a SAHM, canā€™t work for BABA.

Actually Jack Maā€™s wife is one of the cofounders. So she worked crazy hours too. Donā€™t know who took care of their son. I remember reading stories about how his son was wandering streets play video games in internet cafes. So it looks like Ma sacrificed his son to become Chinaā€™s richest man.

1 Like

Somewhat related, I am reading Kai-fu Leeā€™s book ā€œAI Superpowersā€. Itā€™s a very good read. Lee has a ground level view on Chinaā€™s tech scene. He was the head of Microsoft and then Googleā€™s China divisions, and later left Google to found his own VC firm. The book is very informative and led me to put some money in the ā€œMā€ in TMD: Meituan. Hereā€™s a short excerpt:

AI superpower is BIDU not Meituan.

996 is bad for health care cost and mental health. Humanity cost is too great.

The worst side effect is the widening income gap and widening wealth gap. Iā€™m confused why @manch supports 996 work culture. Thatā€™s a robbery of the poor people and punishment to the aspiring class.

Nonsense. In military, we work 12x12x7. During operations, 24 x 24 x 21. Civilians are too soft.

1 Like

Iā€™m soft!

Since civilians are weak, I push for only military and veterans can vote, rest no voting rights.

1 Like

This guy is promoting improper behavior at work :roll_eyes:

Errā€¦ I am not sure jack said you should do that in office. :thinking:

So after working 9am-9pm for 6 days a week, guess you have plenty of time to have sex from 9:01pm-8:59am :roll_eyes:

1 Like