South Bay Crime

1 Like

I suspect that a lot of this is likely California and not the rest of the country.

I have a relative over from Atlanta. They have a resident homeless guy between 6-7 homes who hangs out in their yards smoking, spreading trash etc. Cops won’t do anything here since he’s not breaking any “major” laws. Many homes in this country don’t have fences either. Not the exact crime, but no California is not unique.

I mean is California unique in that we have people on video stealing trash bags of pharmaceuticals from Walgreens and (I hear he did finally get arrested and put in jail) getting away with it? Do they have open drug deals, open sale of laptops and not have the police do anything? Are other people’s laws so lax, that theft and robbery has become rampant?

1 Like

All of these are consistent with the “defund the police” message. Crime is what you get by defunding the police. Why are people surprised?

I get that the actual police budgets are not really cut (very rarely), but what’s important is in the message itself. When “defund the police” is promoted, it tells people that committing crime is ok because police needs to be/is weakened.

2 Likes

Of all the incidents where people rioted to protest the police, how many were the result of actual police misconduct? There’s been one. At some point, police make a business decision on if it’s worth risking their career. The data says they are looking the other way more and more. They are initiating fewer stops and crime is increasing. I’m not sure what people thought would happen.

Come on, while I agree it could be that the DA or judges being the problem, have we seen the following done by the police in our cities lately, unlike in the old days:

1. actually walking their neighborhood beats or assigned areas. And no, we really don’t need 2 of them together when they both can cover their own areas for better coverage.
  2. conducting a lot of undercover ops to catch drug dealers or those who break into cars. If word got out sting operations were up I really think some criminals would be more hesitant. You gotta press charges of course…

To me, the police have gotten soft (and perhaps for good reason) and lazy. Who hasn’t heard or been in a fender bender and the cops don’t want to really do anything about it and they just tell you to go through insurance?

Why should they risk their career and life doing that stuff? It’s to the point now that they can’t use their gun. Even if it is justified, it is a career ender. What did liberals think was going to happen with criminal justice reform DAs and massive riots if police harm someone? The DNC had the mothers of the movement on stage and celebrated them. Democrats have been siding with criminals over the police to get minority votes. Now we see the consequences.

Well, as they say, that is the job. My poker buddy’s son who is an officer in the city wants the action, not some sleepy neighborhood where nothing happens. Tenderloin, baby, is what he wants and gets…

Not to change the subject, but you are right, everyone is getting soft. Man, my Malaysia apparently has done away with mandatory death sentences. WTF! That, is why I like the country!!! Hello??

Death sentences not ok.
Abortion is ok.
Hmm…

Yeah, that way if you shoot someone breaking into your home, then they can sue you and win money from the insurance.

I am always amazed that this can be done. Once you illegally break in, shouldn’t your rights be forfeited? If not, we have to be clear what rights are not forfeited.

2 Likes
3 Likes

See, even Fantasy Land…

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/palo-alto-body-found-18299103.php

What happened? Follow up?