Speaking Of Section 8

Go to jail in Menlo Park for 6 months if you violate this regulation.

Look, landlords, just be careful and always show your open units to everyone who asks to see them and be very consistent with everyone. Donā€™t make any decisions or say anything in violation that could come back to hurt you. Oh, you are green and have antennae growing out of your head and you have 20 family members for our 2 bedroom place, sure, what time would you like to view the place?

Now, letā€™s be honest, would a simple way to keep probably a Sec 8 participant from seriously applying be simply to ask for the maximum move-in allowed by law in CA (first, last and security deposit)? Come on, not too many low income folks are going to have that kind of moneyā€¦

Sorry, but bizness is biznessā€¦

I hope section 8 tenants can live in Atherton

Time for you to loosen that top neck button on your Mao jacket, @BAGBā€¦ even I, whom I would like to think could in theory live in Atherton (rental apartment more likely) wouldnā€™t want a free handoutā€¦ever. Must I quote my famous line again, ā€œIf you canā€™t afford the filet mignon on the menu, then order accordingly the item that you can afford. Donā€™t expect someone to give you that filet mignon for free or at a reduced price. They shouldnā€™t have to. Accept what you can afford at your level and be done with it.ā€

1 Like

Just see if they pass credit and background checks

These over regulation is burdensome and doesnā€™t help much.

With so many regulations, they can give free lawyers to sue the landlord. You will have to prove that you give equal consideration. If you did not keep all the paperwork and if you did not do some paperwork correctly, you can get 6 months in jail.

This regulation can be used as a political tool to defeat or even jail a political opponent.

Jailing people for civil infractions is cruel and unusual punishmentā€¦I thought Jerry was trying to empty prisons not fill themā€¦I forgot , he only wants to let democrats outā€¦

1 Like
  • List item

California is Democratic super majority. They can make new laws to jail landlord but release violent criminals. After landlord goes to jail, they can find building detect, give a violation notice, then confisticate the property and make it low income housing for released inmates to avoid homelessness.

A 100 unit building in Oakland was confiscated by the government and was turned into low income housing. Landlord lost the property, still taxpayer had to pay a huge bill to pay the government related management teams and the overly inflated repair cost. I heard that they manufactured a claim that running water is poisoned and appointed a million dollar property manager to take over property management as the first step. Landlord has to pay millions to this appointed property management company.

Isnā€™t running water from the water company? How can landlord be responsible for such a false claim? I think itā€™s purposely designed by the government and approved by the activist lawyers.

BAGB, cite your source please.

1 Like

Heard from word of mouth. Media is part of the mafia and they donā€™t report the true story. All the media is pro tenant and pro government.

There was some threads on the forum, with sporadic facts but missing some key facts. Government and many protenant organizations control the media, they also control the court. Thereā€™s no hope in CA.

I think the only hope is deregulation. Once we have less regulations and simpler regulations, citizens would be less exploited by the government and less intimidated by the government officers or even government workers, nonprofits, free lawyers, social workers. All those people are enemies of citizens under certain conditions

1 Like

I googled it and got no results. The claim you make simply does not exist.

Media is part of the mafia

Well, up until now, and unless more draconian laws come into play (agreed that they probably will) just be consistent in applying the leasing application rules as they stand now (for your specific jurisdiction or just in general say for CA). You are citing cases that are extreme and not the garden variety that most landlords will encounter usually (again, agree that being ignorant of the laws or not applying them consistently is no excuse either).

This will drive up rent, reduce rental supply, discourage new landlords from entering the business. Eventually, only big landlords can survive the regulatory requirement and most of the mom pop landlords would either go to jail or sell out. This will make the housing shortage permanent and forever, and induce even more regulation

There was another a bill that puts waiter/waitress in jail for handing out straws.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/30/a-calif-bill-would-jail-people-for-handing-out-straws-it-may-be-based-on-a-childs-research/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.427c95fa9293

I cannot believe in the same California there is also Prop 47 which lets real criminals avoid jail time, while at the same time making all the efforts to jail people for civil matters.

2 Likes

I think liberalism should be criminalized. The motivation to tell other people what to do because of your allegedly moral superiority should be illegal

2 Likes

Below is the story. The article below shows support for the landlord, but you can google further to see both sides of the story.

I donā€™t know all the facts so just speculating, but the way the city took over the property is amazing. Apparently the tenants were paying way below market, and there is clearly no incentive for landlord to improve the building, which seems to cost way more than what the building is worth (see 2nd article). So here is a situation where government wants landlord to improve living conditions for tenants but limits rent low. Now that the government has taken over the building (instead of buying it from owner), it still needs to make significant investment (way more than what the building is worth) in order to bring up the living standards of the tenants. So the whole thing does not make any economic sense even when the building is free. Expecting any private landlord to do it is impossible, only a very liberal government has the will and ability to squander money like that. When one has the ability to spend someoneā€™s money, itā€™s amazing what people can do.

2 Likes

To qualify, families must bring in 50 percent or less of the median income for Honolulu. For a family of four, that means $58,300 or less.

The city said that as of May 31, the average subsidy for Section 8 families is $1,157.