Startups Try to Spread Outside of Silicon Valley

I’ve never had a burning desire to work 80+ hours a week. I’ve owned a couple of small businesses that weren’t tech. That’s really hard to do while working full-time. I think there’s less incentive to do it the more you make. At this point, I’m more interested in investing better to FIRE.

4 Likes

Owning a couple small businesses along with stocks and RE should be good enough to FIRE.

1 Like

What’s your age & desired retirement age? Don’t share if you don’t want :slight_smile:

What kind of small businesses were they? did it have a manager?

Um, nice try, no one is going to answer this explicitly :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t really care if he does not. I just want to get to learn more about his small business experience / the nature / what went wrong with it.

Running an active business is not retired by definition.

1 Like

FIRE in the sense that you’ve gotten rid of your 9-5 job and no longer have to report to an annoying manager.

1 Like

unless you have people running it for you.

No insult, but I read here and there people being in the not so low, not so high net worth of a few $ millions. And no matter what they say, they won’t achieve FIRE. They are just one call away from freedom, and that is from the last owner of their properties to say thank you for selling them to me.

Otherwise, they are still stuck to the usual phone call from that tenant in the middle of the night.

That ain’t freedom.

Did you guys feel the small earthquake?

I was thinking 60 when I can touch retirement funds. Also, 45-55 are peak earning years.

No management, but small businesses like that are tough. You need to scale to enough of them to replace your income and that requires a bunch of capital and more headaches. One was in the Bay Area and commercial rents have gone insane.

You are not talking about ira or 401 right?

Only dividend paying stocks, bond funds and Index funds don’t require any effort. So first estimate how much $ you need when you stop working, then work out the quantity of stocks (your choice) required and has a plan to acquire them. I have such a plan :slight_smile: Rental is ok only if you want a little exercise.

All retirement accounts have an age restriction on touching the funds.

Tax exempt muni bonds are appealing for later. I think the plan would be to live off part of the interest and invest the rest of it in SPY. That way there’s a growth element too.

what about moving out of SV to other bay area locations?

1 Like

OK is gross. I’d rather move to Texas.

In 20 years your company increase 20%. it’s really great.