Stop Complaining, You Are Probably Doing Ok

Well in theory with time everyone is replaceable, I knew that early in my career :slight_smile: The key is to be valuable at your workplace (and that does not equate to long hours. Examples of adding value include freeing up your time by automating your parts of your mundane/routine work so you can have more time to do other projects to increase productivity. If you are working 12 hour days everyday, something is definitely off).

However, you are absolutely right in that I am not afraid at all because I know where my value lies. Did I mention that I still get recruiting emails at least every other day? I joined this forum not because I want to be a corporate slave, but because I want to FIRE some day to free myself from slavery. Doesnā€™t matter if you are upper management or the janitor, you are still not taking charge of your own life. The only time you are irreplaceable is if you are your own boss.

1 Like

I guarantee you the granny will take the 100 bucks AND continue to collect cans.

2 Likes

Yeah. I think that granny is already getting welfare but still collecting cans. :+1:

1 Like

So did you learn any tricks here? How to FIRE?

Minimize costs. Never buy a new car. Get married earlier to combine household costs. Maximize savings. Donā€™t buy stuff unless its on sale. Let compounding and time work for you. You donā€™t need to hit a home run, you just need to string together several good base hits.

2 Likes

This. This is one of the keys to happiness. This also prevents one from overspending. Bravo.

This too. Excellent advice. Working for pride and status sets one up to worship at the altar of false idols. The problem is that it is sooooooo easy to get addicted to working for pride, for status. The next promotion. The SVP job. Winning the politics at work. Thatā€™s called keeping up with the Joneses. Only once I hit my 40s did I realize ā€¦ sooooo many of my bosses - the CMOs, the CEOs, etc ā€¦ they all had broken marriages. Messes up kids. Unhappy family life. All for excessive work ā€¦ working for pride, working for status - bullshit.

2 Likes

Subsisting for 20 years of your youth for an early retirement. Might not be worth it for some.

The marriage thing works if your spouse earns more than they spend. If not, it makes it harder to reach your financial goals.

1 Like

The prettier your spouse is, the more wasteful they tend to be. So make sure you marry an ugly one :rofl:

Not entirely true :wink:

1 Like

Are you talking about your wife? Maybe beauty is only in the eyes of the beholderā€¦ :rofl:

No, he meant even the ā€œuglyā€ ones spend as much as the pretty ones. :smile:

2 Likes

Umā€¦ at least you save some money on the makeup because thereā€™s no need to put lipstick on a pigā€¦ :rofl:

Slight caveat. if both are mid or higher income, combine households but donā€™t get married. 2xSingle filing letā€™s you pay less taxes then married filing joint which is less then married filing separate. Itā€™s not as good with the new tax laws, but still better then married filing joint.

My wife is beautiful :wink:

1 Like

Picture time.

2 Likes

What? You mean you donā€™t care about your father-in-lawā€™s fat inheritance??? :rofl:

Nope.

Then itā€™s fake news.

2 Likes

simple-turki-girl-photo-iraqi-bloggers-central-who-are-the-most-beautiful-women-turki-girl-photo

1 Like