Stop Complaining, You Are Probably Doing Ok

Let me ask you, do you supervise or are you a manager at work? My boss was sick the last few days and he comes in obviously with flu symptoms. I told him to go home, I will take care of things, which means I manage the whole team and thus my work is pushed off to the side. There is a lot of mentoring and off the record stuff we do that you seem to forget or just don’t do. Yes, your plain jane individual contributor may do a regular 8 hours but not your senior people. You may be doing special projects that help the team down the road. So, do you understand what that then means if I have to supervise and make sure the team is ok and fine? Yes, I have to stay late because our clients have deadlines too. Do you think they will sympathize and say oh take all the time you want?

You millennials kill me. I had a conversation with a millennial on our team over lunch. He thinks because he did some work well recently that he is going to ask for a big raise since we are doing performance reviews. I said to him, good luck. How about when you F up the next project, do we have a right to demote you? Silence…

2 Likes

My sense the that the 40s is an inflection point in one’s life. At this life stage, one’s professional responsibilities have zoomed up significantly, and 60, 70 hrs/wk are the norm, as is tons of international travel for work. As well the result of every quarter seemingly falls on one’s shoulders.

At the same time, one’s kids, if one has them, is in middle school / high school - a time of maximum neuroplasticity - a time that parents need to keep a close eye on the kids to set them up for a high EQ as they transition into adulthood.

As well, at this point in life, one most probably realizes that the w2 income they make is more than enough. Yet additional w2 income will not make life easier or more comfortable - it just makes for a more material-rich and stuff-based existence.

And yet, in one’s 40s, one is probably also dealing with the decline/passing of one’s parents, as well as pondering the finiteness / mortality of one’s own self. So — back to the inflection point — one probably starts wondering, “how much is my remaining time on earth worth to me? Half of it is already gone.”

6 Likes

I thought we are going to live to 120?

Are you me? Lol. Except my kid is way younger. We had him late

1 Like

So what’s the solution? Quit and be an investor and have tons of time like wuqijun, Manch, hanera and elt1?

Seems than 30% of people here don’t work w2 job.

W2 jobs can be good. I certainly don’t make anywhere near 400k. The salary can be rocket fuel to one’s investing.

Hence the frequency of posts from these folks :smiley:

Yes EQ training is very important, as demonstrated here time and time again.

How was it demonstrated here :rofl:

More importantly, how to raise a high EQ kid?

Hate to burst your bubble, but I have been managing people for many years. Don’t give me the bureaucracy crap - it is exactly people like you who I dealt with during the first few years right out of college that I despise. Told myself that I’d never turn into one of you when/if I move up the ranks. You don’t need seniority status to earn respect - respect is earned from your behavior and mentorship.

I’d rather post like a madman here. If I ever had to return to a w2 job, I think I will puke and die… :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

About $800 a month. 54, nonsmoker. At least in AZ being a nonsmoker provides some benefit; they can charge smokers a 50% premium. Not in CA; it’s one of 6 states where it’s illegal to charge smokers more (it’s a tax on the poor who constitute most of the smokers don’t cha know) so the cost of their choice is socialized.
I’ve posted before about having to use the ACA exchange to buy coverage in Gila Co, AZ because there are no options without going through it. Yesterday I had to re-up; what a nightmare. You must estimate your income for the next year and if it changes you are thrown off your insurance and have to start all over again. You could even be denied the right to use the exchange. One hour on the phone with them and HOPEFULLY I have the same plan and doctor for 2019 that I had for 2018. I highballed my income estimate so I shouldn’t have to go through this again.

A nice honest response. The worst day in retirement is better than the best day working.

2 Likes

Ok, so then you should know by now Miss Big Shot Manager that your star employees ROUTINELY do work extra hours. Am I wrong? Please, either stop lying or tell the true. If you have star employees, do you not make them do extra projects to help the overall team because quite frankly you can “abuse” the privilege since yeah they are salaried employees? Frankly, if ANYONE only works 40 hrs a week max it is not that they work smarter it is probably because (1) they are hourly employees so no overtime for them, (2) their work is not demanding enough quite frankly or (3) they suck, so management doesn’t ask them to do more.

My Big Bro who should have retired by now with more money than anyone realistically needs routinely works extra hours at work. Sometimes, he goes in on weekends. Why does someone who has a NW of well over 20M work so hard? Pride. And simply loves his job. And yes, he is an engineer who has well over 25 years of experience and is probably the top or 2nd top technical person in his company.

What I find true about millennials and young workers in general is that you guys/gals aren’t willing to do overtime anyway. Please, stop thinking you are all that. You are not.

They are, but there’s a loss of human dignity.

I had a boss who only worked 40 hours a week. He was both a founder/VP/holder of the patent that the company is based on. His theory was that he works most efficiently when he has time off as well.

His employees, on the other hand–they were often in 12 hours/day, but spent a lot of them playing Doom. He’d have gotten more out of them if he told them no games at work, and only come in for 8 hours.

Our Fearless Leader never heard of the word “Pride.” It is not the best, but I certainly have more respect and pride for an old lady collecting cans to make ends meet than some young and otherwise healthy looking panhandler.

2 Likes

@Terri,

If your work is deadline based and it is a complex project, is it not unrealistic that you will be working more than 40 hours to meet that client deadline? Keep in mind, managers manage so they can routinely work 40 hours. Star employees who contribute on the line AND who probably mentor youngsters while doing their own work work well over 40 hours. That, is just fact.

Uh…if this isn’t your own self reflection I don’t know what is. Star employee? Okay…

How many years have you been in the workforce again? If your manager hasn’t told you yet, I will. Please, automate your processes.

3 Likes

Um, if we do that in theory, why would in the world would humans be needed? Hmmm…