Tax Reform?

Bay Area has lots of money and we own Pelosi and and sort of own Obama. We have been fortunate and getting what we wanted in the past.

Unfortunately major tax reform is usually done by GOP and BA can’t influence GOP much. Hoefully BA will continue to own the next Democratic president and congress, they can add little stuff to the tax regulations and save us.

If this tax reform passes and Apple gets 100’s of billions back home, watch the lobbying next few years. I believe that given time, BA money will entrench GOP and White House in a couple of years. My concern is whether AAPL/Goog/Intc care about personal tax at all

CNN is left leaning, Fox network news is even more right leaning. Your best bet for accurate news is your local channels and ABC, NBC, and cbs network news. Most local newspapers are ok, but the chicago tribune and washington post may be exceptions.

1 Like

Money is neutral. Money chases winners and power

Whitman is resigning from HP. She could get a position in White House when trump fires someone, if she’s not running for CA governor

Whatever’s said here is irelevant… It is up to couple of GOP senators … Trump has pissed off most them… Not a very smart move… Let’s hope McCain shoves this shit up Trumps
ass…lol

2 Likes

There’s no left, no right on this one, right?

Well, when you read “the conservative”, or " the liberals" on any piece, you have a partisan opinion.

By The Editorial Board
Nov. 19, 2017 4:59 p.m. ET

Liberals are denouncing Republican tax reform as a giveaway to big corporations, as they always do. But the irony is that the Senate and House bills would do far more to stop corporate tax gaming than anything the Obama Administration did in eight years. This includes preventing tax avoidance, levelling the tax field for U.S. multinationals, and stopping corporate inversions.

This is the type of legislation that has resulted in complicated tax system. We want a simpler tax code!

Senate may vote on the tax bill next week. It’s been so quiet, I have a feeling they may pass the bill next week after some debate. There’s a good chance GOP can get the tax bill done in a couple of months, I guess it might be a compromise between the 2 bills

Since they are doing it quietly and quickly, lobbyists may not have time to have much influence

1 Like

Ooops, my bad…

(the 38th economist)

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/37-of-38-economists-said-the-GOP-tax-plans-would-12377297.php

Economists always predict lower tax rates will lower tax revenue and increase the deficit. They’ve also been wrong every time. That’s why they are economists working in academia. If any of their work was right, they’d be richer than Warren Buffet.

The qualification to be an economist is a PhD. They become experts in a tiny portion of the study of economics, then make broad predictions way outside their area of expertise. It’s like thinking a PhD in super conductors is an expert in everything electrical engineering.

I think economics will be an interesting application of machine learning. It’s the only way we have a chance to correctly model some of these complex things.

1 Like

LOL…debate?

There hasn’t been any debate in the worthless congress of all times. “Closed rules” has been the Russian way to not let democracy play its role. 49 times has been used. Nice debate, not even the same republicans not in the oligarchy group know what’s going on until the package comes to the floor.

McCain Collins Johnson Flake are against it… Trump has insulted all of them. Great negotiator…lol

1 Like

Cool story bro. That’s not part of the tax reform plan. The article is about the Obamcare repeal.

Johnson has softened his tone. Collins demand some changes but her tone is not a ‘No’. Flake also disputed the Trump’s accusation that he’ll vote no.

It seems a strong possibility to pass next week

1 Like

“I applaud Chairman Hatch and the Senate Finance Committee in taking another step forward in providing much-needed tax relief for hardworking American families,” McCain said in a statement. “I am pleased that the Finance Committee has followed the regular order by holding numerous hearings and spending four days debating the bill and considering amendments in committee.”

That conflicts with other info reported here. Hmmm.

It’s going to pass. If there’s any credible chance of failing, media will be all over it.

The reconciliation of 2 bills will be interesting and that may allow some lobbyists to do their job. But these 2 bills will set up a boundary and any adjustment would be most likely within this bound

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-22/tax-bill-odds-improve-as-key-senator-backs-health-mandate-repeal

Well, the Obamacare will be gutted with the approval of the tax reform.

Thanks for paying attention.

On top of giving massive tax breaks to the people “who need it the least,” the proposed budget resolution would result in $1 trillion in cuts to Medicaid, which “will throw 15 million people off of the health insurance they currently have,” Sanders said Tuesday to reporters on Capitol Hill.

“And then on top of that, what they want to do is provide $470 billion in cuts to Medicare, at a time when so many seniors are struggling to keep their heads above water,” Sanders added.

Republicans on Capitol Hill say it’s unfair to call it a “cut,” because it is instead a reduction in the rate of growth. That slowed growth, however, will come as the population is rapidly aging.

The Republican plan defies President Donald Trump’s campaign promise to save Medicare and Medicaid “without cuts.”

“I was the first & only potential GOP candidate to state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid,” Trump tweeted one month before he formally announced his bid for the presidency. <----------:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: