Telecommuting/ WFH and Remote Work

you mean isolated the cause? Yes, nothing else has changed with the team other than the fact that they are remote until September. It’s get very taxing to share context repetitively and motivate the team.

1 Like

This is a great point. I try to counter this by getting multiple opinions (discreetly of course) for important work that someone plans to do. Sometimes I even get hands on to understand the quality of tooling people have built.

I live mortgage free in A and then go to a mortgage in B. How come?

You are one of the few lucky rich people who can play mortgage games. You own multiple properties - at least one in Bay Area and one in Austin. You can choose where to have a mortgage and where not to. Maybe you are rich enough to be mortgage free on both your Bay Area and Austin properties, but just keep a mortgage on your primary in Austin because the money is so cheap. After all, banks love to lend money at the lowest possible rates to the people who need the money the least.

Congratulations! I am sure there are a few multi-millionaires like you who choose to live in Austin even if they could live in Bay Area. It’s personal choice, or at least you have not been forced to leave Bay Area due to high housing costs.

I left the BA because of traffic and the decline in quality of life. Those of us who lived there forever remember when their were half as many people. Pace of life was slower. People were more polite and there wasn’t high crime and homelessness. Too bad newcomers have tolerated the decline of civility. The famous SF tolerance has lead to the intolerable. The blame lies with progressives who will not address the real problems.
The BA needs to get tough on crime and all criminal activity. Especially the criminals that are homeless. Pity is not an effective method of governance. What Reduced Crime in New York City | NBER

1 Like

Thought happened in my ex-employer only. Seem to be prevalent :slight_smile: Also, better to manage a high dollar value project than a lower one, so always propose a more expensive solution e.g. $3M solution can help more in your promotion than a $1M solution.

The cancer of tolerance is destroying the BA. Allowing criminals to steal anything under $950 is creating chaos and the destruction of civil society. All criminals need to be pursued wether it is PC or not.

“Obviously murder and graffiti are two vastly different crimes. But they are part of the same continuum, and a climate that tolerates one is more likely to tolerate the other.”

Why would anyone want own a retail store in the SFBA

2 Likes

You are a good manger. I have seen some incompetent managers who never rose beyond managing a group of 4-5 people. They never understand their job (what is job of a manger anyway?) and created problem for the rest of the team. Team had to deal with sagging morale and favoritism. Obviously, the remaining team members were bonded to job because they could do very little to find a new one. So they worked hard and produced the deliverables. So upper manager did not care because the manager was able to deliver at the end of the day, despite the cost she put on her people.

Moral of the story: There are a lot of incompetent manager in silicon valley who keep their jobs because they are able to get the results from their reportees. The reportees have no option but to work and get the job done even if they do not like how the manager operates.

Thought you are promoted to Director two years ago? Different compsnies?

Adobe will also go hybrid.

1 Like

Years ago…. It was back in 2011.

1 Like

Yes. I agree with mcp. At this point Atlanta is better than Austin in most ways. Austin has gotten a bit too pricey as well. Atlanta is growing hand over fist. 6M people vs 2M in Austin. Lots of infrastructure, world class airport. East coast hours has some benefits too. There is a ton going on there. I could go on and on…

4 Likes

Orlando, FL (in East Time) is attracting some of high tech. Space Center spurred some tech companies at inception but not much after that. Do not know how Orlando compares with Atlanta. I think both might be neck-to-neck. On freedom index, FL ranks higher. But both will have good competition from Research Triangle in Carolina.

Austin has momentum. Momentum breeds momentum. That is the first law of motion. An object continues in state of motion (or rest) until and unless acted upon by an external force.

Austin has momentum sure, but nowhere near as much as Atlanta. Atlanta has more to do and is gaining even more momentum. Food scene is exploding, young people are migrating there, there are all the major sports teams there. You simply hear more about Austin because of its relevance to big tech like Apple and Dell. Have you lived in either area or are you speaking from a Bay area perspective? I’m very familiar with both.

Orlando is nowhere near the aforementioned two. I have friends that live in Orlando as well, and it is not even close.

3 Likes

Isn’t Tampa hotter (not temperature) than Orlando?

Orlando has its own economic system geared around entertainment and amusement. That said, what is Atlanta centered around? Atlanta is is a big city, but so are many others. Big cities are dime a dozen.

For rental investment, people can buy any city in USA and equally can get nice returns.

Long back, I went to Colorado springs live 9 months, rent was less than half of what I paid at sunnyvale, but did not like to stay there, came back to bay area, staying here past 20 years.

My friend too, went to Atlanta 10 years before, stayed there one year, did not like to continue, came back to bay area, settled with a TH in San Ramon.

Another relative got a company transfer to Virginia, paid less than half of rent compared to San Mateo rental, but could not stay more than 15 months, came back to bay area.

Similarly, another relative got a company forced transfer to Arizona, 50% reduction in home value, property tax etc, but did not like to move out, switched the job leaving the company.

However, I have seen two persons, permanently priced out of bay area buying home, left CA after 5 years and took Dallas as main place, bought $500k and $400k homes.

To me, if the person is permanently priced, they move out of bay area, otherwise they try to stay in SFBA as long as they have jobs.

2 Likes

Fintech was the original core. Almost all payment processing and credit bureaus are in Atlanta ((Global Payments, Fiserv, Equifax, NCR etc). Also, there is a healthy startup scene with Georgia Tech in close proximity (companies like AirWatch, OneTrust, BetterCloud, Pindrop, fullstory for example). Some of the older startups like Pardot and ISS were acquired by SFDC and IBM so they all have presence there.

Also most of the FAANG have decent size footprints in Atlanta. Here is an example article of Google expansion. https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2021/03/23/google-confirms-atlanta-expansion.html

Listen, I’m not saying Atlanta is any different than other major cities, but the combination of low cost, high growth, decent tech hub (legacy and startup), as well as good airport connectivity (if you aren’t aware ATL is the highest capacity passenger airport in the world minus COVID last year). These reason are why it is one of the top growth cities in the US, and it is the high growth hub in the Southeast.

2 Likes

In general people (rich or poor) do not like to move away from the place where they are born or raised. Migration is generally forced due to economic (like lack/loss of job or income or space) or social reasons (like war).

Lot of business are moving out of CA just because it is cheaper and less onerous outside. Even if we argue bay area is expensive and rest of CA is not, companies just not leave SFBA, they leave state of CA. This is bothersome. Why did not apple expand in Sacramento or Merced , or Fresno? Why does it want to leave the state altogether for expansion?

1 Like

:+1: Is why I didn’t want to give up Singapore citizenship.

:+1: Clean break.