Telecommuting/ WFH and Remote Work

2 Likes
2 Likes

That seems like a reasonable rule of thumb, though the $3M would need to be adjusted upward to account for inflation. It would probably have to be kept invested in at least 50/50 stock/bond to match or slightly beat inflation.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-07-04/apple-hq-is-no-longer-the-center-of-the-company-s-universe-kqpi2879

The WFH movement is strong.

Let’s up our game with a 4-day work week:

I had a 9-days every 2 weeks setup before. We got every other Friday off, and each team was staggered so about half the team was there on any given Friday.

Instead of shorter work week, wiser for US companies to offer min 1 day WFH for all employees except those must be in physical places e.g. retail, grocery, hotel, restaurants, etc.

1 Like

My personal experience only: A few people has started to go into work and joining meeting from the meeting room in office. While still majority of the attendees are on Zoom, I started to see issues with hybrid setup. Those people in the room sometimes have conversations where not everyone on Zoom can either hear properly, or dominated by discussion from the room (especially ppl in the room are more Sr. folks). When everyone was on Zoom, it was all equal, but some folks in the office definitely changed the equation.

4 Likes

Yup. It’s not a stable equilibrium. I expect more and more people will opt for returning to office, if they care about their own careers.

1 Like

I have started going to the office one day a week to just hobnob and be seen around. My company is a very large global company headquartered abroad, so most meetings are conference calls anyway with colleagues in different US cities and different countries.

My 2c is that 100% remote work will be damaging to career prospects if one is working in traditional corporate setup. Hybrid or flexible model, going to the office for key meetings as and when needed, might be ok for those who want to maintain their careers - I.e., stay put and not rise too high. But for those who are ambitious and driven to climb the Corp ladder, maximizing in-person time at the office and traveling on business (I.e., the old pre pandemic model) will be important.

That is why I think that property prices in Silicon Valley will not come down or slow down in appreciation much going forward. With so many of the biggest and most important companies headquartered here, ambitious, talented and driven people will continue to converge here

1 Like

Home prices are driven by demand and supply. If more people will demand silicon valley homes, prices will appreciate accordingly. For more silicon valley homes to be demanded, the silicon valley has to remain business friendly and a center of excellence where companies will want to start and expand.

1 Like

:+1:

Many people forget about this :grinning:

California and Bay Area are so unfriendly to business that, err, (check notes) vast majority of tech companies get formed and expand into giants here.

Maybe politics is not as important to business as one would assume.

This is very true. People exaggerate the importance of politics and all these red vs blue state nonsense. Silicon Valley is and will remain a powerful magnet for new startups and incubating them into some of the world’s most innovative and important companies. That’s ultimately what will drive demand for homes here too

yup I’ve also said this on this thread several times as well.

Hybrid or flexible model, going to the office for key meetings as and when needed, might be ok for those who want to maintain their careers - I.e., stay put and not rise too high.

Sounds perfect for me, lol,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-20/apple-will-postpone-return-to-office-after-covid-19-persists

1 Like
1 Like