Telecommuting/ WFH and Remote Work

Even the politician is acknowledging that things are not looking good going forward, hence being forced to take steps. Bay Area might not be far behind, IF it continues along the path SF took in the past IMO.

Some San Francisco businesses could get big tax breaks under a new wide-ranging plan Mayor London Breed’s administration unveiled Thursday to try to turn around the city’s struggling downtown, which has become one of the most lackluster urban cores in the country.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/sf-breed-tax-break-business-17771923.php

1 Like

Tug of war between WFH and RTO continues.

Their line of attack is brilliant.

“The employees have also drafted a petition, addressed to Jassy and the S-team, that calls for leadership to drop the new policy, saying it “runs contrary” to Amazon’s positions on diversity and inclusion, affordable housing, sustainability, and focus on being the “Earth’s Best Employer.”

Amazon either needs to backdown or say it doesn’t care about diversity and sustainability. The falllout from that could be huge.

The backlash is continuing:

1 Like

Imagine going to office 3 days a week is too much to ask.

:person_shrugging:

Comments on Facebook aren’t very supportive of these Amazon employees:

1 Like

for me, yes. My commute is 1.5 hrs each way, and even one day a week is brutal. and with my workload, that 3hrs commute is precious time i could be working, or resting after working so much

1 Like

Why do you live so far away from the office?

can’t afford to live closer. live in dublin, office in Palo Alto. 1.5 hrs each way with traffic.

Sadly this was predictable. All it takes is one SVP/higher up to show they mean business and the WFH decisions get overturned. Unfortunately, in the current business climate, power rests with the corporations. They can always hire other employees should you balk at RTO. (I do think 3 days a week is reasonable and is in line with most other companies.)

1 Like

If households making $400k+ yearly have to live 1.5 hours away each way with traffic from work, no wonder people are leaving and will continue to leave.

3 Likes

400k is the new middle class - at least in Bay Area. I saw an article about this, that defined “middle class” as the ability to own a house, take an international vacation at least every other year, and generally have savings so not stressed about going broke or not having enough to cover a furnace going out or roof repairs.

In the 80s, that house hold income was 100k or lower, and now - to live what is considered “middle class” - you need a 400k+ income.

1 Like

You have forgotten about cars. Own two ICE :slight_smile: cars.
Configuration of a house = Single family house, 3Br/2Bth, 2 car garage, at median price of the neighborhood… up to 1.5 :slight_smile:

Doubt families making $400K a year can’t afford a house within 1hr of work. After all East Palo Alto is right next to PA and commute won’t take longer than 15 minutes.

If you say “ewww EPA”, that means you have left out other parameters of the “house” a $400K income can’t afford, like must be a SFH, 10/10/10 schools, >2k feet, half an acre lot, less than 20 years old etc etc.

Also, many people started off their home ownership journey here with something cheaper like condo or townhouse. If you insisted buying your dream house right off the bat that makes everything harder still.

1 Like

we didn’t buy a condo/townhouse. we should have, and I regret it, but we had babies and we wanted the grandparents to come visit and stay for a while, so we needed the space to host them. so rented, so we could have space. as far as EPA, Schools matter. Not due to quality of education, but quality of friends. I wanted to move to San Leandro, but glad we didn’t. Poverty is hard on kids, and they can become bullies (this happens a lot in Castro Valley too). and while I am okay roughing it for myself, not okay with my kids having to deal with a rough school life.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It’s not really telecommuting, but we’ve talked about this here multiple times. It’s a huge change and will be interesting if others follow.

2 Likes

How the mighty have fallen. I thought it was only Meta, now even Google. i.e. Remote/Hybrid work is good for the bottomline even for these behemoth companies.

That’s why Pichai sought to conserve cash by consolidating office space, even as he apologized to staff for trying to sugar coat the news last month.

1 Like

Zuck reflects on remote work. Remote only works well for engineers who joined in-person years ago. Not good for people who joined remotely. Meta remote work policy will likely change. Or has it changed already?

2 Likes

I wonder how much was lowering the hiring bar to meet insane hiring quotas. Their headcount boomed. There’s no way they were hiring the same caliber of talent.

It used to be brutal to get through the interview process and at 90 days people were cut. For college grads, they started holding workshops to help the students prepare and coach them how to pass the interviews. That was after feedback the process was too rigorous and not enough passed the interviews. That’s a lot of handholding.

It does make sense early career people need some in-person time. They need more coaching.

1 Like

That’s preparing people for interviews not for the job?

Anyways, Meta doesn’t really not want remote, it needs to conserve cash and it can pay people less working remotely from other places.