Tesla’s trillion dollar valuation is fast approaching

Just word of caution, Tesla is down in view of recent price reduction $1100/car. I calculated current peak will be between $320 and $325.

Since this year is not so great - with yield curve issue - market volatility, I came out of TSLA at $322 (pure swing trader mentality) and bagged again good amount this year.

As a company, TSLA will survive long, but current economic status is not right time to hold long. TSLA will also struggle with all automakers like GM & F and finally come up as winner.

I will be back to TSLA when it is way down again.

Luckily I didn’t follow you big time into TSLA, now then you tell me, already down so much!

If stocks are not bought long ago, probably should just trade them till market drops death and restart a new bull :slight_smile:

Not that what I did is of any consequence… but… I haven’t bought yet in Tesla stock.

Reasons: Europe news so far not bullish unlike USA as far as demand for Model 3. Model 3 demand in China weak.

2 Likes

In investment, you should not follow me or I should not follow you. However, you can follow well known investors like WB or Seth Klarmann. On any case,the ownership is on the individual. I follow swing trade, WQJ follow buy and hold, you follow in between. When I purchased TSLA, I decided when to come out (esp at what price range) and bulk loaded upfront. Result: TSLA filled all the losses I made with AAPL.

2 Likes

I still hold on to 1000 shares of Tsla I bought at $274. Hope is that they can become as valuable as the shares I bought back in 2012 for $35.

1 Like

TSLA oscillating around $300 since 2014. Buy $x below $300, sell $y above $300, make $x + $y.

1 Like

Not interested in making chump change.

1 Like

Chump of 1000 shares is few hundred thousand dollars! Ask @Jil. Your 1000 shares could be literally FREE.

See here, WQJ is not following me, neither I am following him. We both are independent on our own.

The difference is that I become trader, he becomes investor like WB.

When recession hits, higher hit will be at real estate (but less volatile area) and then car industry, both are big ticket item depended on credit availability.

I want to be safe, coming out entire market soon, TSLA is one my stocks.

I would have held TSLA for long as I feel TSLA as a company good, but economy (US & China) is not so great at this point.

2 Likes

Based on FED rate hikes, all the credit interest rate is gone up , that is the issue until it normalizes.

Europe, Australia and China, demand for TSLA will be there, but economy is not strong and credit is expensive.

IMO, when economy (US,Euro, China and other world wide) tanks, car industry will get hit, that affects entire car sellers.

When market recovers, TSLA will recover fast and be a winner, next I see GM (as they planned massive for EV cars in 2023 onwards). EV is the way to go in future.

Is there a better place to put that hundred thousand dollars? Aapl maybe?

Read my PM as to where to TT your cash :slight_smile:

Austin real estate? :rofl: Why invest, I want to hold it as cash sometime.

1 Like

Used to do that. But yield hence cap rate and cash flow has gone down a lot, @Boolean is well aware, unless you buy in so not desirable neigbhoods (on paper very high yield, effective cashflow may be even lower because of evictions, repairs and vacancies). Probably better to just hold cash and wait for more favorable conditions.

1 Like

Your investment acumen will fail you during those favorable conditions because you couldn’t tell them apart from the unfavorable ones.

1 Like

Yes, I understand the failure part, hard to understand the market. Just I am planning this way in future, trying buy SPY, QQQ, ITA ETFs instead of stocks. This way, I can avoid trading. At least , I will have 50% in ETFs and balance 50 ( or even less than 50% ) in stocks.

1 Like

If you were to buy 10 Silicon valley tech stocks randomly, then your performance should match QQQ. And you can avoid paying ETF fees.

1 Like

I happen to see the difference in one of my retirement accounts.
On 12/26, I purchased hacax( nasdaq almost ) 75% and vanguard fund (25%)
The overall Appreciation is 10.2% YTD and other stocks holding trailing behind at 9.8%.
Looks to me my stock picking is not right even though last 50 days is too low early for comparison.
Based on this, I am fairly convinced to go for same 75% and 25% for QQQ and SPY.

I’ve been comparing my portfolio against the Nasdaq for more than 10 years. It’s gain vs. the Nasdaq is pretty much even. However I added many positions along the 10 years so I think I’m actually ahead of the Nasdaq because I’ve held those positions shorter than the 10 years I used to derive Nasdaq’s gain.

1 Like