The cooling Silicon Valley real estate market

Big tech companies 5-7 years from now will still be mostly in SV. Just look at the startup pipeline. Where is getting the most funding? Bay Area.

The network effect is stronger than most people give it credit for. There’s a reason why founders like to start their companies along the 101 corridor between SF and SJ.

1 Like

That’s why you see more and more companies expanding outside of the bay area, and they do it earlier in their life cycle.

1 Like

That is why I bet on Sacramento. Instead of Seattle or Texas

1 Like

ABAG wants all cities to have rent control. They are a total failure and become a danger to society. How to disband ABAG?

https://abag.ca.gov

Logic? Out of BA might as well out of state to zero income state tax like Seattle, Texas and Florida, and low property tax (remember rates may be higher but absolute is lower because of cheaper property). Moving from SV to Sacramento is not drastic enough to produce much cost savings.

RE usally doesn’t pay much in income tax. Property tax is a bigger issue. Texas has 3x the rate of CA

Bay Area always has bad traffic. If bad traffic is enough to choke off Bay Area’s growth it would have happened 20 years ago.

Didn’t happen then and won’t happen now.

Wow what’s this? Austin has bad traffic too? :exploding_head:

Bad traffic is a sign of desirability… the worse the better.

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

Employees happy about zero state income tax.
Employers happy about low property tax (absolute) and availability of large tracts of land for constructing new buildings, and no need to deal with NIMBYISM/ Environmentalists slowing progress and jacking up costs.

1 Like

Restrictions on growth are bullish for RE values. The best deals I have made are in Sacramento. Appreciation is more important than tax issues. Just refi increase rents and hold till you die

How many times must I tell you… don’t force me drop your IQ to UCLA grad level. Context is about tech companies, so the relevant neighborhoods are N/NW Austin.

Yes, pretty sure people will not be nickeling and diming property taxes when they get a free pass on state income tax. I need to move to a zero income tax state.

1 Like

You are too young to retire :wink: Are there FinTech in Austin?

Love UCLA. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/ap-ucla-womens-gymnastics.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

A colleague’s wife with a new kid bought a house(2 years back) in Cambrian Park,SJ , joined FB.

Daily commute was 3 hours(to and fro). Left in 2 months. She joined Xilinx.

1 Like

Yep, you have to guard your time preciously! I was upset coz my team needs to move building in MPK Campus and my commute increase from 25 mins to 35 mins!

1 Like

Harriet is on FinTech? Why couldn’t she work on other tech?

Seattle is 1% prorpety tax on homes worth less and no state income tax. I still haven’t noticed what services are missing for the lower taxes.

2 Likes