The Death Of Retail

1 Like

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2018/09/11/thredup-layoffs-cost-of-business.html

Thatā€™s actually great if theyā€™ve moved on to higher paying jobs.

1 Like

They ended up reporting. It was bad, but the stock went up. Same-store-sales continue to decline. I donā€™t see how they survive.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-shops-share-space-survive-changing-retail-market/

When was the last disruption happens? From individual shops to big boxes to boutique to departments? Now to O2O stores? To one-stop shops for daily needs (rest online to be collected in store or delivery to home)?

1 Like

I think the last big one was department stores in cities to shopping malls in the suburbs. Somewhere along the way strip malls also became a thing and started popping up all over in the suburbs.

1 Like

Look like ripe for a big disruption. Whoever get it right, going to make it BIG. You seem to understand retail as well as auto (compared to me, of course :slight_smile: ). It may be a BIG opportunity for you rather than sweating for a megacap as an employee :rofl:

I probably should have when I was younger. The tech mega caps take good care of the employees. I really enjoy tackling the problems at scale that happen in a large company. Iā€™ve worked for smaller companies too, and the challenges arenā€™t nearly as energizing.

1 Like

Holiday parties are waaaay nicer, tooā€¦:grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Startup not work for :slight_smile: Be a founder and take a shot at being a billionaire.

Only a few big pieces of retail left. The biggest is grocery and amazon is having a crack at it with Whole Foods. I think restaurants is the next big piece if you can call it retail. Food delivery in US is miles behind China. There are a few players including amazon but seems rather lacking in energy.

I donā€™t have a desire to do one thing for as long as a startup takes. At 2-3 years, I want to do something different. Thatā€™s one of the reasons I picked Amazon. The culture is a perfect fit for that, since itā€™s normal to rotate. Iā€™ve had 2 roles in this department which is a quicker change than normal, but we had a big re-org. The goal was for me to stand up a team and work myself out of a job. That happened quicker than planned. Next month, Iā€™m moving to a completely new department thatā€™s an area Iā€™ve never done before. I wasnā€™t even looking yet, but someone that rotated in July reached out to me about following.

1 Like

Stop sending me those darn 20% off mailers!!!

1 Like

Send them to my wife she loves them